Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that the latest announcement on Bachmann's UK website about the forthcoming Farish class 56 introduces the term "DCC friendly" which means "allowing a relatively straight forward installation of DCC decoder by soldering the connection wires onto the tags fitted to the model".

This sounds like a reasonable idea to me, particularly for locos with little space available.

David

·
Registered
342 Posts
n guage and DCC friendly always strikes me as acontradiction in terms but anything which makes it possible for n guage to use dcc is a step forward in my opinion

·
Registered
36 Posts
Am I missing something here? Surely a decoder with plug is easiest? I personally don't like the idea of using a soldering iron near plastic.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
QUOTE (disco-dave @ 18 Mar 2007, 09:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Am I missing something here? Surely a decoder with plug is easiest? I personally don't like the idea of using a soldering iron near plastic.

The plug itself takes a large part of the available space in N gauge.

I think the Farish 66 would also be classed as DCC friendly if they'd invented the term at the time. This has solder pads on the edge of the PCB so no need to go anywhere near plastic. I assume the 57 and any other totally new models will do the same, though they may change to a plug in future especially as Dapol are moving that way.

NB it's a 57 not a 56 as stated in the OP.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
All I'll add is that you'll need a steady hand when soldering!

It was pretty misleading when the 66s were launched as DCC ready....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts