Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Its probably best to let Hornby explain what DCC is as they are aiming their information at absolute beginners:-

Hornby DCC information

and Bachmann have an information page too:-

Bachmann DCC information

For somebody on a tight budget and an absolute beginner to railway modelling then really its probably best to look no further than the starter systems offered by these two companies. A basic Hornby or Bachmann DCC control console and 4 locomotive decoders can be purchased for under £75 if you shop around.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Of course there is the DCC information at the top of this page.

DCC FAQ

The Roco Multi Maus is also worth considering as a budget system but as Gary says the information and DCC equipment from Hornby is aimed at absolute beginners and if you are starting out this may be the best idea. The starter sets are particularly good value as you get a loco, track and DCC controller.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just a follow-up, if you don't mind. Does anyone have any experience with the Roco system? It seems to be available fairly cheaply in their various digital starter sets (as long as you have a use for the digital German diesel loco bundled with it).

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Agamemnon @ 30 Oct 2006, 15:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just a follow-up, if you don't mind. Does anyone have any experience with the Roco system? It seems to be available fairly cheaply in their various digital starter sets (as long as you have a use for the digital German diesel loco bundled with it).

You can always sell it on eBay - I'm surprised at what they actually fetch considering it's a "hobby" range loco (retail around £35) with a basic decoder.

regards
Brian

·
Registered
40 Posts
Actually, since I'm not at all concerned about historical and geographical accuracy, I'd probably find use for just about any loco in the Roco lineup.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I have the Roco Lokmaus 2 system. I bought it as part of a starter set a few years ago to try out DCC. It was a great starter system but I am now looking to move on to something bigger. I was seriously thinking about the Multimaus but decided that by the time I had bought all the addittional components to acheive what I wanted to I would be as well buying the Ecos, which is what I have decided to do after long deliberation. The Lokmaus and MultiMaus are both compatible with the Ecos so I can still use them. The Roco DCC starter sets are incredible value and the DCC system is a lot more advanced than the Hornby and Bachmann efforts. I would recomend it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Aye, the Ecos looks pretty cool, but a bit out of my price range. The cheapest Roco starter set with the Multimaus is only 130 € if ordered from Germany, which sounds pretty good considering the features of the system.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Another system to consider is the NCE Power cab. Basically everything is installed in the throttle so the only other item is the power supply which is a wall wart of around 1.2A capacity. The system will only handle around 4 locos but with a larger power supply on the market that number can be expanded. At around A$265 it's a cheap starter for the beginner and the throttle can be used in a full featured NCE system if you decide to upgrade.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
40 Posts
I shudder to think what they charge for international shipping of NCE stuff from the States, when postage from Germany alone is quoted at 15€ or more. Sounds like it'd put an end to the "getting off cheaply" angle.

Plus with my luck, it'd get stuck in customs and I'd have to pay some insane additional charge. Happens regularly on transatlantic packages, I'm told.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I'd still be inclined to buy locally. Someone made the point that the manual is probably the second most important part of the kit. The third most important bit is a mate or dealer who can help you on the phone.
Almost everyone needs a helping hand now and again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In Finland, there is no "locally." No train stores, very few active clubs, no real interest in the hobby. It's so bad you can't even find train stuff secondhand (unless you're into three-rail Märklin, which there appears to be a copious market of).

We're a dying market, really. I blame Playstation frying the brains of our youth.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 1 Nov 2006, 04:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd still be inclined to buy locally. Someone made the point that the manual is probably the second most important part of the kit. The third most important bit is a mate or dealer who can help you on the phone.
Almost everyone needs a helping hand now and again.

Same for Australia, the only locally available option in Melbourne I'm aware of is Digitrax and you would pay twice what you would from the states.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The last time I got a parcel from the States it cost US$36 to airmail it to Oz. It was fairly large a weighty parcel containing two BLI C&O 2-10-4's. Actually they were replacements for two that went missing and they just replaced them no charge. From the UK it's not to bad 14 pounds to get DJH kit from them to me.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Agamemnon @ 1 Nov 2006, 03:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I shudder to think what they charge for international shipping of NCE stuff from the States, when postage from Germany alone is quoted at 15€ or more. Sounds like it'd put an end to the "getting off cheaply" angle.

Plus with my luck, it'd get stuck in customs and I'd have to pay some insane additional charge. Happens regularly on transatlantic packages, I'm told.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 1 Nov 2006, 09:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The last time I got a parcel from the States it cost US$36 to airmail it to Oz. It was fairly large a weighty parcel containing two BLI C&O 2-10-4's. Actually they were replacements for two that went missing and they just replaced them no charge. From the UK it's not to bad 14 pounds to get DJH kit from them to me.

Ozzie21
In my experience the cost of the savings far outweighs the postage costs.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE In Finland, there is no "locally."

We sometimes forget that we have members from all over the world.

Any recommendations for our Scandenavian friend?

I do share the MMaD view that equipment should be sourced locally if it can be.

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 20 of 25 Posts