Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Thats great info in that link. The images are a bit dark. Any chance of making them brighter as I can't see the detail in the images. Or is it me?

I do think my monitor settings on the whole are sound as images on the BBC website and other websites are OK from a brightness point of view.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Its better John although could be better still!

When it comes to DCC all websites are very guilty of providing images that are too dark including Model Rail Forum (
) so please don't take it personally.

The lcd monitors that a lot of us use these days with our PC's and laptops are not very good with contrast within dark areas and the fine detail that you need to examine in the images to work things out is lost. If you are using an old CRT monitor to prepare the images for publication they will be poo when viewed in an lcd monitor as they will be too dark.

Unfortunately most if not all loco running gear is black!

So a plea to the whole model railway online media providers.

Please brighten up your act!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
When viewing with a cathode ray tube monitor its not too bad as you can turn the brightness and contrast right up to levels that you simply cannot achieve with a flat screen monitor. Its the newer flat screen monitors that have the issue with contrast that require a brighter image. This is based on my personal experiences with both types of monitor.

With in excess of 50% of current PC sales being laptops and nearly all new desktop PC's sold having a flat screen, websites with old dark images will be next to useless in the near future.

If you are plonking images on a website using CRT monitors and you believe they are bright enough then find a PC with a flat screen and have a look for yourself!

If you turn the contrast setting and brightness setting down several knotches on your CRT monitor then you will see how the images look to us poor sods who have invested in the latest technology!

When it comes to DCC I do want to see right close up at the detail and at this time I simply cannot on any website!

Here is a perfect example of how it should be from Model Rail Forum:-

I can see this and its one of my images. Fantastic!

Dougs Class 20 DCC conversion review at MRF also has pretty bright images.

Here is the Hornby M7 example that I cannot see from John's site and this is one of the improved images:-

I can see the wiring and the chip but nothing else as its all a black mass. Maybe I don't need to see anything else however I cannot answer that question because I cannot see it! I cannot see where that red wire goes for example and there are some black wires that merge into nothingness.

I think John is using a flash and that may contribute to the issue. You need a good set of photographic spot lights matey if you are going to use macro settings.

This example should make the difference easy peasy for all to see.

You have a great resource there John and anybody who is converting a new Hornby M7 should drop by even so.

And the fact is the professionals are rubbish at this sort of photograhy aswell. DCC wiring images in Model Rail and other rag mags are equally useless!

I think its all a big conspiracy by DCC experts to not give too many secrets away!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The thing is John there are modellers who are put off DCC by the thought of opening up loco bodies and putting chips in. Anything that anybody can do to show these potential wanabee DCCers that its not so difficult might encourage a few more to move into DCC. From this perspective a bright overexposed image seems better (to me anyway) than an image which leaves the viewer scratching ones head. It would be wrong to assume that people looking in already have the model. They might be looking in for a whole number of other reasons.

If you use photographic lighting as well as, or as a substitute for, a flash you might get a better balanced image as a result.

I would work on the basis that the person looking is is an absolute beginer with absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of DCC and somebody who has not got the model. This is the lowest denominator and if this audience are satisfied then everybody will be.

Think about all those newcomers who will be operating Hornby and Bachmann digital systems next year looking in at that time.

Am I right or wrong?

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts