Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone has manged to dcc a non dcc ready class 66 from dapol as I purchased some before they made it standard and I want to be able to chip them to run on my layout using dcc.

I've seen the quick link to do it to a steam loco but is it the same?

Any pictures and an idiots guide would be appretiated if anyone has one.

Regards

·
Registered
193 Posts
I did a quick Googgle and found a lot of comments that this was difficult.

For example, on one website, I found this comment - "As a result of the way that Dapol designed this model there's no simple way to convert the 66 and retain the lighting. The lights are connected to the circuit board so closely that it doesn't seem practical to break the connection and rewire without damaging either the LEDS, the shell or both. The circuit board is helpfully mounted so that all the tracks are facing into the apex of the roof, so they can't be intercepted, and because of the connections to the LEDs the board can't be removed."

On another forum, I found that "The only major problem is the current DAPOL Class 66, which is a nightmare. However, I understand DAPOL are now working on a replacement chassis which will be DCC friendly".

From the sounds of it, you would be better off swapping this model with somone else who has the DCC Ready version, or just buying the new version and selling the old one to someone who is not interested in DCC. If this is your first attempt at DCC, it would be a shame to be put off for life by a bad experience as a result of this "design error" from Dapol.

I was very lucky, as my first decoder was fitted to a 00 scale class Q1 from Hornby and I have read since that this is one of the easiest to fit in the Hornby range. It was the SR livery, so there was no funny speedo cable to remove, just one screw to and lift the body off, plenty of space inside for any sort of decoder. DCC ready with the standard socket. It took longer to figure out how to set the address (from the default of 3), than to fit the decoder. It's been downhill ever since!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
From what I've read I agree with John.

The only Dapol 66s that are DCC ready are the new low-emission versions, which provide a 6-pin socket. The chassis represents a different prototype, so it would not be correct just to fit the older body onto it. The lights will work on DCC with this chassis, but I understand it is still difficult to get independent control of head and tail lights which as far as I am concerned is essential for realistic operation.

The simplest answer if you want a DCC-fitted original-type Class 66 is to buy the Farish version. The decoder wires solder onto pads on the PCB, a bit tricky but by no means impossible, and independent tail lights are straightforward. While the Dapol has better body detail the Farish chassis is more accurate than the original Dapol.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that guys I was hoping that it wasn't going to have to come to come to selling them as the farish models don't have a switch to change them from day to night running which the dapol ones have.

Ah well I guess it's all a learning curve.

I also have other locos that are not dcc ready am I going to have the same problems with them as well?

I have :-

new graham farish drs 47 with a 37 body on it but has no running lights

Drs 20906 class 20 grafar

Grafar hst new release GNER

bach-farish class 08 ews

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
There are several useful websites, one of which is:

http://smallphry.com/eecore/index.php/C5/

Includes DCC fitting articles on Farish HST, 66 and older Farish diesel types but not (yet) the 08 or 20 which are more tricky. I can't immediately recall any guidance on fitting these, but Gerry Spencer does a kit to assist with the 08.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Edwin @ 5 Oct 2007, 09:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are several useful websites, one of which is:

Includes DCC fitting articles on Farish HST, 66 and older Farish diesel types but not (yet) the 08 or 20 which are more tricky. I can't immediately recall any guidance on fitting these, but Gerry Spencer does a kit to assist with the 08.

Thanks for that little gem Edwin that will come in very useful.

I am not starting to see light at the end of the tunnel at last !!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've just had a wizard wheeze what about if I am not bothered about having to double head locos and use my 2 dummy class 66's frolm dapol and put 1 on each of my dc dapol class 66's so in affect creating to rakes of double headed locos and run the wires from the chips inside the dummy loco through to the mounting locations on the motored class 66's. I know I will have to try and find a way of either hiding or disuising the wires maybe by taping the wires with black tape or something?

It's an idea what do you think.

I could use the other couplings that you get with the 66's so that they are coupled closer together than with the standard farish/dapol couplings.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (M8 INTERNET @ 5 Oct 2007, 22:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've got a DAPOL Class 66 66072 in EWS livery with a DigiTrax DZ123 decoder as spare now
Tested only and boxed, for £75 plus £5 for Royal Mail Special Delivery
Decoder was fitted by Ken Chapman, so will save you a bundle

Do you have any information on how he did it so I can take the info to my mate who will be doing it for me i.e pictures of were the wires are located?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
QUOTE (Edwin @ 5 Oct 2007, 09:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are several useful websites, one of which is:

Thinking about this while fitting a decoder to a Farish 66 over the weekend, I realised this site doesn't include the important warning about the risk of shorts from the motor contact springs to the surrounding metal chassis. It applies to the 66 and the 57 and possibly also the new Farish HST.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/bachman_grahan_farish.htm

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 5 Oct 2007, 17:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've just had a wizard wheeze what about if I am not bothered about having to double head locos and use my 2 dummy class 66's frolm dapol and put 1 on each of my dc dapol class 66's so in affect creating to rakes of double headed locos and run the wires from the chips inside the dummy loco through to the mounting locations on the motored class 66's. ...

I don't think this will help you much. The problem with the Dapol is not so much finding space for the decoder as making the connections between it and the motor and especially the lights. You'll still have this problem if the decoder is somewhere else, plus the difficulty of making a connection between the two and also fitting lights to the dummy loco.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (Edwin @ 8 Oct 2007, 09:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't think this will help you much. The problem with the Dapol is not so much finding space for the decoder as making the connections between it and the motor and especially the lights. You'll still have this problem if the decoder is somewhere else, plus the difficulty of making a connection between the two and also fitting lights to the dummy loco.

I see what you mean about the lights on the dummy one but if I am going to se it as the 2nd loco of the drag then there wouldn't be any lights on it anyway would there so that wouldn't be a problem especially if it is dragging a load that is what I was thinking of doing with them by dedicating them both to dragging loads like I have just purchased some of the glw hea wagons to run behind the locos and they will be permanently fixed to the rakes of wagons.

With regards to one of your earlier posts about shorting out on the farish would that also be the case with the dapol as well?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 8 Oct 2007, 11:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With regards to one of your earlier posts about shorting out on the farish would that also be the case with the dapol as well?

There's no reason to think so, as it was a specific feature of the design of the Farish 66 and 57. More recent designs such as the Class 60 have cured it.

But... there's not much guidance on the best way to fit a decoder to the original Dapol 66 - if you Google for "Dapol 66 DCC" this thread is in at number two! Probably because most DCC users heard it was difficult and went for the Farish instead. So you're part of a small and select group in seeking to do this conversion, and you'll need to be extremely alert to any design features that might cause problems.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Edwin @ 8 Oct 2007, 13:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There's no reason to think so, as it was a specific feature of the design of the Farish 66 and 57. More recent designs such as the Class 60 have cured it.

But... there's not much guidance on the best way to fit a decoder to the original Dapol 66 - if you Google for "Dapol 66 DCC" this thread is in at number two! Probably because most DCC users heard it was difficult and went for the Farish instead. So you're part of a small and select group in seeking to do this conversion, and you'll need to be extremely alert to any design features that might cause problems.

Edwin I googled the thing you asked me to and I found something on another forum about a lad that said he had done some dcc-ing on other locos but the feeds I have found all say the same that it is either not possible or it is not worth doing.

I'm not going to be doing the dcc-ing myself it is just someone who does it for me but I want to be able to take a set of instructions or pictures so they can do it themselves.

I am pretty much limited as to who dccs n gauge locos where I live.

1 shop has stated that they can get in N gauge chips but they don't fit them and the other shop will fit them but has never tried to dcc a non dcc ready loco before so I would like to have some destructions to follow so he doesn't fry my precious locos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi There

The Dapol 66 (pre DCC ready) is horrible, especially if you want to keep the lights running. I gave up and bought 12 Farish 66's instead despite not having the lovely wire mesh grill. However the newer Dapol 66 is fine as others have stated. Ken Chapman does a great job on them (even if he does insist on using the hopeless TCS decoders) retaining lighting etc. I believe there was a conversion article in one of the Mags as well. It is possible but not nice. Also the new 66's lose the night/day switching capability.

The 08 I have done and published a conversion http://www.jigerspe.demon.co.uk/theme_2.html on Gerry spencer's site It was also published in MRM a while back.

The new GNER HST is similar to the farish 66/60,57 chassis and very easy indeed.
Class 20 I don't know I am afraid.

HTH

Gareth

·
Registered
882 Posts
QUOTE (cutting42 @ 9 Oct 2007, 18:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ken Chapman does a great job on them (even if he does insist on using the hopeless TCS decoders) retaining lighting etc
Ken has done a few for me now, and I supply DigiTrax DZ123 decoders
I started off using Lenz Silver, but the DZ123 suits me fine, and allows me to expand my DCC fleet much quicker

·
Registered
6 Posts
the artical for fitting a chip was in model rail issueno 97 november 2006. it also covered directional lighting aswell.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (royz @ 17 Oct 2007, 18:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the artical for fitting a chip was in model rail issueno 97 november 2006. it also covered directional lighting aswell.

I checked out this article and have managed to chip the locos but when I try to add the lighting part it blows the chips.

I have been through 3 chips so far.

The chips I have been using are the Hornby 4 function chips which I have used successfully in other locos to chip with lights but for some reason doing the dapol euro class 66 it keeps blowing chips.

I have done as the article has suggested by removing the 2 boards on the chassis of the loco and also removing the prongs on the body circuit board which powers the lights and still no joy.

Any suggestions??

I am quickly going through the uk's supply of hornby chips.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HI guys does anyone know or have they done the conversion as I have followed the instructions from the model rail magazine article and i have had the loco running but to make the lights work without blowing the chip is a nightmare.

If anyone has any other ideas or pictures of their conversion that could help it would be helpfull.

·
Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 29 Nov 2007, 20:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>HI guys does anyone know or have they done the conversion as I have followed the instructions from the model rail magazine article and i have had the loco running but to make the lights work without blowing the chip is a nightmare.

If anyone has any other ideas or pictures of their conversion that could help it would be helpfull.

This sounds like a possible short in the lighting circuit. If you have a multimeter test the current drawn by the lighting circuit independently using a low voltage source (1.5v) battery. Initially only apply the battery momentarily and use a resistor to limit any fault current. Anything more than a few milliamps and you have a problem.

I have looked at the circuit schematic in MR and I'm not sure it is quite right. There was another conversion article in MRM by Nigel Burkin (I think) which I seem to remember entailed completely rewiring the lights!

Hope the above helps.

Ian

1 - 20 of 31 Posts