Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are all used to some people constantly updating their mobile phone - they "must have" the latest, even though they already have a perfectly serviceable phone.

Are we in danger of becomming the same with DCC consuls ?

At least 2 forum members seem to have purchased a Dynamis & they already have consuls that would appear to meet their needs.

Just a thought on a relatively boring Saturday morning - is it just me thinking this way ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 1 Dec 2007, 10:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We are all used to some people constantly updating their mobile phone - they "must have" the latest, even though they already have a perfectly serviceable phone.

Are we in danger of becomming the same with DCC consuls ?

At least 2 forum members seem to have purchased a Dynamis & they already have consuls that would appear to meet their needs.

Just a thought on a relatively boring Saturday morning - is it just me thinking this way ?
An interesting thought, as the Dynamis is now my third current DCC system. I didn't really see it as an upgrade, I agree I already have a fully functional ZTC 505, and a similaly specced Roco Multimaus.
I think I'm a bit of a gadget boy to be honest, and yes there is the excitement of trying out 'the latest thing'.

I think, the thing is, there is currently no one ideal DCC system. The thing that interests me most about the Dynamis is that it is wireless, and has the ability to give 16 character names to locos. The ZTC cannot name locos and has odd quirks like the lighting always defaulting to forwards when you bring a loco to a hault. The Roco has a limited number of characters for naming locos, cannot read CVs unless you use it with a Lenz base station, and is not wireless.

My quest continues, I expect I may well standardise on one system eventually, though I am considering building several small diorama type layouts this time in out newly converted loft. Therefore several control systems may come in handy.

To be honest, I just love the toys!!

Ashley

Oh, and my mobile phone is about 3 years old btw, and gets laughed at by all my students!

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
This is characteristic of an 'evolution' phase in a product lifetime. Likely enough it will settle down over the coming decade as the typical bundle of features and performance standardises.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
An observation on Ashleyh's postscript. My son gave us a mobile phone for Christmas 2001 as we had broken down on the A1 miles from anywhere only a few weeks before. We still have the same phone and have only put more credit on it twice. Last time I went to a shop and added £5 I said to the assistant, "That should last us another couple of years". You should have seen his expression!

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 1 Dec 2007, 23:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>An observation on Ashleyh's postscript. My son gave us a mobile phone for Christmas 2001 as we had broken down on the A1 miles from anywhere only a few weeks before. We still have the same phone and have only put more credit on it twice. Last time I went to a shop and added £5 I said to the assistant, "That should last us another couple of years". You should have seen his expression!
I'm the same, I only have one of my wifes old cast off phones. I rarely use it or switch it on. Mainly because I'm overseas and don't really know many people I would wish to call over here. I actually went to use it on Thursday last week and it announced that I had no credit left as it had expired, I couldn't recharge it as I was not the registered owner and had to start looking for a phone box which I couldn't find as they don't need them anymore as everyone has mobile phones. Bit of a vicous circle.

I think the problem with the DCC units is that they are still evolving and new features are being added. The Dynamis doesn't really offer anything new other than the wireless facility but does offer many features that first generation top end systems had for a budget system price. The standards are getting higher and new features being offered. This is why a system which can have upgrades is the go as the new features can be downloaded on your computer and transfered to your system rather than watching your system decline with age.

·
Registered
266 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 1 Dec 2007, 23:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is why a system which can have upgrades is the go as the new features can be downloaded on your computer and transfered to your system rather than watching your system decline with age.

This is why,after11yrs using Lenz, I went with the ECOS.
There was nothing wrong with my Lenz just a little dated. I am still using the Lenz thru the ECOS but as ESU continue with updates the Lenz will become redundant. I am patiently waiting for the firmware update for Mobile Control with the Ecos. That is the main reason I am still using the Lenz.

Ian sa

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (iansa @ 2 Dec 2007, 11:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is why,after11yrs using Lenz, I went with the ECOS.
There was nothing wrong with my Lenz just a little dated. I am still using the Lenz thru the ECOS but as ESU continue with updates the Lenz will become redundant. I am patiently waiting for the firmware update for Mobile Control with the Ecos. That is the main reason I am still using the Lenz.

Ian sa
That was in the last update 1.1.0 Ian. The mobile control for ECoS is still not available though.

·
Registered
266 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 2 Dec 2007, 01:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That was in the last update 1.1.0 Ian. The mobile control for ECoS is still not available though.

Hi Neil, yes I realize Mobile Control was in V1.1.0 but as I understand it there is updates etc still to come for the Mobile control sound module and hand control.
I could be way off base here but as I understand it, the sound module is taken from base station of MC and put into back of ECOS.
I have had Mobile Control for a couple of years which I have been operating thru my Lenz system. Now, as I said in last post, I operate Lenz thru sniffer port of Ecos including Mobile Control. This works very well but as time goes on I want to retire the Lenz.
Happy DCCing
Ian sa

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (iansa @ 3 Dec 2007, 11:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Neil, yes I realize Mobile Control was in V1.1.0 but as I understand it there is updates etc still to come for the Mobile control sound module and hand control.
I could be way off base here but as I understand it, the sound module is taken from base station of MC and put into back of ECOS.
Happy DCCing
Ian sa
I wasn't aware of any more updates in regard to the Mobile Control. What do you mean by the Mobile Control Sound Module? I don't understand that part.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 3 Dec 2007, 10:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wasn't aware of any more updates in regard to the Mobile Control. What do you mean by the Mobile Control Sound Module? I don't understand that part.

***Hi Neil

Ian actually means the radio board out of the Mobile control base station....

If removed from the original base station it physically plugs into the spare slot on the ECOS perfectly.... Actually it might be worth trying to see if this was in fact the update we've been waiting for - I'd do it but again have sold my last ECOS!

I do have lots of mobile control though - both 51100 and 51101

Richard

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 3 Dec 2007, 17:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Hi Neil

Ian actually means the radio board out of the Mobile control base station....

If removed from the original base station it physically plugs into the spare slot on the ECOS perfectly.... Actually it might be worth trying to see if this was in fact the update we've been waiting for - I'd do it but again have sold my last ECOS!

I do have lots of mobile control though - both 51100 and 51101

Richard
Ah ha. That makes sense now. The update was to enable you to use the new one 50100 for use with the ECoS. The other versions have to go through the ECosniffer apparently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts