Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bachmann digital commander control and i was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what programming means. it has numbers 1-10. i have it set on 3. i jjust want to know what programming means

·
DT
4,794 Posts
DCC Programming normally refers to allocating values to your DCC decoder in the loco.

Different values in different Configuration Variables (CV) will give you loco different running characteristics.

We do this to make the loco run as pro-typically as possible. For example: A shunter and a mainline loco might have similar electrical motors giving them similar speeds on the track. We program the decoder on the shunter to limit it's maximum speed.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Surely the best place to start is the instruction manual that comes with the console?

Bachmann should have a terminology/glossery section on their website but they don't. Well if they do I have not found it! Something to think about if Bachmann are watching...

Here is a link to the Hornby DCC glossery which does include the word "programming":-

Hornby DCC Glossery

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 3 Jan 2008, 20:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Surely the best place to start is the instruction manual that comes with the console?

Bachmann should have a terminology/glossery section on their website but they don't.

***Yes they do Gary: and they have the full EZ command manual which is what he needs.

I presume that the questioner has the EZ command. Here is the manual in PDF form for you to download and print. It is clear and concise. Read it carefully and it will explain all you need to know. (Sorry but I had to delete the front cover so it could be uploaded as the file was over 2 megs)

regards

Richard

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE Yes they do Gary

Where? The Bachmann manuals do not contain glosseries. The Hornby manuals do as does the Hornby website. As such the Bachmann manuals will make little sense to the lay man as they are full of jargon and so I can understand the initial question.

Its the jargon that puts more off DCC than anything else. Anything that helps with this to try and keep it simple has to be a good thing.

There is of course also Model Rail Forum's own jargon buster:-

Model Rail Forum Jargon Buster

...although this is not a glossery but more an explanation of how DCC works.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 3 Jan 2008, 23:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any glossery is better than none at all!

The issue is that we are not all as well endowed as some when it comes to DCC.

Happy modelling
Gary

**Gary, you are a petulant little man aren't you:
....and you clearly didn't bother reading the very simple to understand the EZ command manual - No Jargon, just plain simple English. I posted it precisely as it is written in plain easily understood words with lots of pictures. Perhaps I should try to find you one for 3 year olds?

A glossary as you quoted is of little help when the Brand that wrote it doesn't really understand the language.

Richard

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I have an EZ-Command Richard and reviewed it here about 3 years ago.

A fine low cost starter unit but it did not stop my fellow club members asking me how it all worked even though I took the manual in. And even with the manual I still managed to use the function controls incorrectly and that was me with my better than average DCC awareness and EZ-Command manual!

All I am saying is a glossery would be helpful and one that is UK based that UK visitors can relate to. Hornby do one. Bachmann don't.

QUOTE A glossary as you quoted is of little help when the Brand that wrote it doesn't really understand the language.

As long as the company understands the language of its customers.

Can you point to an NMRA DCC glossery because I must be having a bad day as I cannot find one of these either!

I really look forward to a time when the editor of The Sun newspaper produces a DCC manual as only then will it be understood!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 3 Jan 2008, 23:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have an EZ-Command Richard and reviewed it here about 3 years ago.

A fine low cost starter unit but it did not stop my fellow club members asking me how it all worked even though I took the manual in. And even with the manual I still managed to use the function controls incorrectly and that was me with my better than average DCC awareness and EZ-Command manual!

All I am saying is a glossery would be helpful and one that is UK based that UK visitors can relate to. Hornby do one. Bachmann don't.

As long as the company understands the language of its customers.

Can you point to an NMRA DCC glossery because I must be having a bad day as I cannot find one of these either!

I really look forward to a time when the editor of The Sun newspaper produces a DCC manual as only then will it be understood!

Happy modelling
Gary

**There is no one "definitive" glossary because its necessary to include many terms "invented" by Mfrs that have over time become part of the language of DCC. New and additional words keepcoming too - some thru translations from other language and some to describe new features such as "sniffer port" as used by ESU etc...Here is a copy of a document compiled from many sources which is about as complete as I can make it.

It is NOT my original work, but nwas sent to me some time ago... I transferred it to word wo make it editable. It is I believe compiled from many sources on and off line.

Richard

Richard

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I can see what you are saying Richard and thank you for making the download available.

It is full document.

Funny thing is I can now see why Bachmann may not want to include a glossery on their site as it is pretty scary stuff!

Hornby have only included the "need to know" stuff in their glossery and have used The Sun type lingo where possible.

The funny thing is in a world where computers and games consoles are becoming increasingly popular/common DCC still seems to baffle a lot of users. It makes me think that railway modellers are not into computers and games consoles.

The question has to be why do users need to understand how something works as long as it does what it says?

Railway modellers put petrol into a car everyday and the cars go. They don't know why they go. They just do.

Why is DCC seen to be different with users expected to learn a new language?

Its this idea I struggle with. It should be plug and play and thats it.

And the fact is it is!

Is it forums such as this that overcomplicate things I wonder?

In being helpful are forums actually being unhelpful as more questions arise from answers given when for the most part vistors don't "need to know".

Are highly technical conversations between groups of forum members scaring off potential DCC wanabees?

The original question in this thread maybe is a wake up call that even though things may look simple they are not!

The other consideration is that it is the difference between having an interest in DCC as a passing fad and having an interest in DCC as a hobbyist. Forums generally are a place for hobbyists and why not!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 3 Jan 2008, 15:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Railway modellers put petrol into a car everyday and the cars go. They don't know why they go. They just do.

When I was young I used to think cars were pulled along by the fan - now I'm older & wiser - they are pushed along by the exhaust ! (see - I know why they go).

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 3 Jan 2008, 21:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>DCC is as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. It really all depends on what you want it to do for you.

Nail well & truely hit on the head Neil - could be a great header for an article on DCC !

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 4 Jan 2008, 06:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nail well & truely hit on the head Neil - could be a great header for an article on DCC !

***Ask and you will recieve - a page from my new catalog. De-mystifying DCC.

DCC is as simple or as complicated as the owner wants it to be. It is simple stuff with a few basic rules just like DC.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good pdf, but I think you've got a typo on there. Second column, halfway down, about making DCC complicated or easy. it mentions "with DCC you need to isolate the layout into sections, have one loco per controller......".

Don't you mean with DC ?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 4 Jan 2008, 13:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Ask and you will recieve - a page from my new catalog. De-mystifying DCC.

DCC is as simple or as complicated as the owner wants it to be. It is simple stuff with a few basic rules just like DC.

Richard
DCCconcepts
Shame I didn't have a copy of that in Adelaide to hand out

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (dieselweasel @ 5 Jan 2008, 01:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good pdf, but I think you've got a typo on there. Second column, halfway down, about making DCC complicated or easy. it mentions "with DCC you need to isolate the layout into sections, have one loco per controller......".

Don't you mean with DC ?

**Yep, well spotted. The master is now corrected after a PM received telling me earlier but rather than post it again, I thought I'd see who was paying attention :)

Kind regards

Richard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts