Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can any one help I have fitted a ztc 255 diamond decoder to a Lima 2-6-2 Praire ,Now I Know Lima are not the best running Locos ,but this one runs fine on D C but now it jerky on DCC now some of may be down to me as I am using Hornbys entry DCC as it is down to cost, hope to upgrade some time but very unsure what one to go for but thats another storie. I have not removed the caps as ZTC say leave in as any body any ideas, any help would be useful.
Yours Noel

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (noblenoel @ 23 Sep 2008, 23:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi can any one help I have fitted a ztc 255 diamond decoder to a Lima 2-6-2 Praire ,Now I Know Lima are not the best running Locos ,but this one runs fine on D C but now it jerky on DCC now some of may be down to me as I am using Hornbys entry DCC as it is down to cost, hope to upgrade some time but very unsure what one to go for but thats another storie. I have not removed the caps as ZTC say leave in as any body any ideas, any help would be useful.
Yours Noel

***Hi and welcome to the forum

ZTC's advice is well meaning not always either correct or helpful - you should remove the capacitors.

ZTC decoders are generally OEM supply from digitrax or other Mfrs and are not their own electronic and software design, and digitrax decoders most defiately benefit from capacitor removal.

As to the Hornby entry level Select, this may also be a contributor - many brands of decoders are not comfortable with it as its output waveform is very poor and it is far from meeting DCC standards. I am sorry to give negative comment here but the sooner you replace it the happiler you will be.

Finally, check the pickups are clean, the wheels are clean and the track is clean - lima pickups can need a little adjustment for best performance and good pickup is very important with DCC.

Richard

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 24 Sep 2008, 04:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Hi and welcome to the forum

ZTC's advice is well meaning not always either correct or helpful - you should remove the capacitors.

ZTC decoders are generally OEM supply from digitrax or other Mfrs and are not their own electronic and software design, and digitrax decoders most defiately benefit from capacitor removal.

As to the Hornby entry level Select, this may also be a contributor - many brands of decoders are not comfortable with it as its output waveform is very poor and it is far from meeting DCC standards. I am sorry to give negative comment here but the sooner you replace it the happiler you will be.

Finally, check the pickups are clean, the wheels are clean and the track is clean - lima pickups can need a little adjustment for best performance and good pickup is very important with DCC.

Richard
Thanks for your comments and I have removed caps but no improvement so I changed the decoder for a hornby on which I removed from a hornby class 58 this has improve performance no end .The class 58 as run fine so I put this down to the motor types I also except that the Hornby Select is not to clever but have to wait until funds permit have been looking at other DCC controlers NCE power Cab or the MRC prodigy Express 1.6 as these seam to be the next best thing thanks for any advice as I have not do much modeling in the last 20year but as I am now retired so have more time .
youy Noel

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (noblenoel @ 25 Sep 2008, 06:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for your comments and I have removed caps but no improvement so I changed the decoder for a hornby on which I removed from a hornby class 58 this has improve performance no end .The class 58 as run fine so I put this down to the motor types I also except that the Hornby Select is not to clever but have to wait until funds permit have been looking at other DCC controlers NCE power Cab or the MRC prodigy Express 1.6 as these seam to be the next best thing thanks for any advice as I have not do much modeling in the last 20year but as I am now retired so have more time .
youy Noel

***Yes, the hornby decoder is more comfortable with the non-DCC standard Select. The ZTC, being ex Digitrax, is among those that can object to the sawtooth waveform of the Select.

Your thoughts as to good upgrade options are both solid products - A definate yes to the powercab and a yes to the MRC providing its definately the latest software revision.

Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts