Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have seen me ask this question on another forum, but as the two member/readerships may not overlap, I'll ask it here as well.

Electricity is my preferred method of prototypical propulsion, but I do have a couple of the Bachmann OO gauge 57xx tanks in LT livery, nice, which I'm coing to chip with ESU Loksound micros.

I've seen recently that there are special smoke generators for DCC, and No I'm not talking about decoders expiring in a puff of blue smoke with that wonderful "bakelite burning" smell.

What's the difference between a DCC smoke generator and a DC one? Has anyone any experience of these? Are they worth it? Are the latest DCC versions any better than the Triang Seuthe ones of 40 years ago, or does the volume of smoke produced still look like the thin whisps of a dying dog-end in an ashtray? Can you synchronise the chuffs with smoke generation or is it all too claggy and not worth it? Do you need to combine accessory outputs to get sufficient current?

All views & opinions gratefully received.

Keith.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have one DCC loco with a smoke unit.

Its a US model, a precision craft 4884 Big Boy, the smoke works well, and is more 'blown' out the chimney than those of yesteryear, but it was factory fitted , so I cant give too many more details.

Its powered from a loksound chip, and given the number of other functions on the loco, I would guess (it is only a guess mind) its powered from a single function output.

Again, they dont state what make, although as suethe oil works fine in it, I'm guessing thats where it came from.

Recently announced in the US from MTH trains are some steam outline with synchronised 'puff' to the smoke, although I have yet to see one personally, but the technology is obviously out there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The following link shows what is achievable in Germany at least;

or look for"GuitarRailroader" - "KLASSIKER DER BUNDESBAHN long version".

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (zmil @ 26 Nov 2008, 11:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Look at the thread Velux and Smoke

It has some good installs of smoke units

You should use the 2 wire Seuthe no 22 , if suitable for your Loco
Thanks Zmil,

I have looked at the other thread and it is very informative. I got my first loco with smoke in 1962, it was a Triang Princess Elizabeth with the Seuthe unit.

Keith.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I can remember One Of my school mates coming around with his Triang Loco fitted with a smoke unit
and covering all my track with smoke oil , I had no end of problems with it after that and could not get my Favourite loco to run

Since then I have not been very keen on smoke

Fixed the Loco 30 odd years later and it runs like new
I had to clean every bit of oil out of the motor

Regards Zmil

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (GoingUnderground @ 26 Nov 2008, 15:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Some of you may have seen me ask this question on another forum, but as the two member/readerships may not overlap, I'll ask it here as well.

Electricity is my preferred method of prototypical propulsion, but I do have a couple of the Bachmann OO gauge 57xx tanks in LT livery, nice, which I'm coing to chip with ESU Loksound micros.

I've seen recently that there are special smoke generators for DCC, and No I'm not talking about decoders expiring in a puff of blue smoke with that wonderful "bakelite burning" smell.

What's the difference between a DCC smoke generator and a DC one? Has anyone any experience of these? Are they worth it? Are the latest DCC versions any better than the Triang Seuthe ones of 40 years ago, or does the volume of smoke produced still look like the thin whisps of a dying dog-end in an ashtray? Can you synchronise the chuffs with smoke generation or is it all too claggy and not worth it? Do you need to combine accessory outputs to get sufficient current?

All views & opinions gratefully received.

Keith.

Hi Keith

The difference is voltage range and current consumption: generally if its called a DCC compatible unit it will have a slightly higher voltage spec and lower current draw.

The most important thing though is compatibility with your loco bodies - the # 22 as recommended has some insulation so is recommended for plastic bodied loco's and is generally happy with DCC too.... just be sure the decoder you choose has adequate power handling in its functions.

If it doesn't, choose another one OR parallel two functions to power the smoke unit.

regards

Richard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.