Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

Dont know if anyone can help me !! Probably someone can !!

I want to fit DCC Sound (ESU Loksound), Dcc working oil lamps (Express Models oil lamps) and a smoke generator (Suethe) in the same model loco.

Fitting the DCC Sound and lights is easy enough but when it comes to the smoke generator i have no idea. I Know it runs on 16Volts and wanted to know if there was any way of turning it off and on. I have seen sound and smoke working together in other models but just wondered if anyone knew how to do it!!
I also beleive it is possible to get a small pump that blows air out with the smoke increasing the power and making it chuff. Has anyone seen this?

I was also wondering if there is anyway to make steam emit from the front / sides of the locomotive as well, I have seen it done on O gauge so i guess its technically possible. I thought it may use some sort of reservoir for the smoke.

This has all come about because i have finally got my first ever 00 gauge steam engine and want to make it look as realistic as possible!!!

Hope some one can help me!!!

Nikki

·
DT
4,794 Posts
How much current does your Suethe draw?

What is the current rating of the ESU decoder's functions?

If you want to switch the smoke unit with a decoder function, the decoder needs to have enough current for the smoke unit.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Seuthe smoke unit's come suitable for a variety of currents so you just pick the one that suits your current.

QUOTE I was also wondering if there is anyway to make steam emit from the front / sides of the locomotive as well, I have seen it done on O gauge so i guess its technically possible. I thought it may use some sort of reservoir for the smoke. The only one I have seen this technology in is the Gauge 1 KM1 Modelbau BR44 which uses an infra red sensor to detect the movement of the cylinders and activate the smoke from the cylinder cocks. This costs around 3,000 Euros so it's not cheap and if you want to do this for OO you may be pioneering new technology as it may not neccessarily be able to scale down further.

Richard Johnson's probably the one to ask if this can be done in OO.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Seuthe smoke unit's come suitable for a variety of currents so you just pick the one that suits your current.

You need to be careful doing this because although there are units with a variety of currents, the power required remains the same. In other words a lower current unit requires higher volts. This matters because the Seuthe units don't work too well much below their rated voltage level and the high volt / low current units are at or above the DCC output level for most boosters used by OO/HO modellers. The reason I know this is because I spent a couple of evenings investigating why a high volt / low current unit worked for me and not for someone else even though we were both using DCC. I did not know at the time that the output from my ECoS unit is a higher than other OO/HO units which ultimately explained the different experience.

MG Sharp's Seuthe smoke generator page gives volts / current ratings. Based on my findings above, I would definitely try to use the '22' unit as its operating voltage range is 10 to 16. The lower current '23' voltage range is 16 to 22 which a tad too high for satisfactory operation. You will need to examine the specifications of your decoder carefully to ensure that it has function outputs capable of supporting 120mA. Some decoders are limited to 100mA per function which isn't enough. The ESU LokPilot 3 DCC function outputs are capable of supporting 250mA which is more than enough. I have not checked Lenz, Zimo or other brands.

One final point to beware of. There is usually a total current limit for all function outputs which is less than the sum of each individual function running at its maximum. i.e. A four function decoder capable of 250mA per output is almost certainly not capable of providing 1A for all four working at once. Unless you are using filament bulbs rather than LEDs, this isn't likely to be a concern.

In summary, go for a 120mA generator at 10-16v and find a decoder which has at least one function output capable of 120mA

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 9 Jan 2009, 09:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You need to be careful doing this because although there are units with a variety of currents, the power required remains the same. In other words a lower current unit requires higher volts. This matters because the Seuthe units don't work too well much below their rated voltage level and the high volt / low current units are at or above the DCC output level for most boosters used by OO/HO modellers. The reason I know this is because I spent a couple of evenings investigating why a high volt / low current unit worked for me and not for someone else even though we were both using DCC. I did not know at the time that the output from my ECoS unit is a higher than other OO/HO units which ultimately explained the different experience.

David
Yes I found this out last year when my smoke locos wouldn't work with a power cab because of the low track voltage. We did a thread on this.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Madkitten you don't say which loco or which DCC system so its hard to be precise.

We do many high level installs, right down to working dashboard lights in diesels and while much of what we do technique-wise is not publicised info I'd comment as follows:

Speaker treatment and installation is critical to good sound. Its not just a case of plopping in the speaker. 2 are always better and air sealing of the enclosures should be perfect if possible. Removal of tender body resonances makes a difference too.

Smoke - the #22 is recommended as its safe for plastic bodied locos - most aren't and a melt down is easy to do. ESU will tolerate a #22 across one function. It usually smokes well. Puffing mechanisms are doable but are serious engineering. You can't simply turn smoke on and off, it need heat all the time to generate it so the chuffing has to be electro-mechanical with reservour, valve control and pressure source.

Smoke can simply be connected to an auxiliary Fn such as Green or Purple wire. Instructions will tell you how to programme it to work on your chosen function. When we sell a sound decoder we pre-programme functions especially for our clients needs.

Lights: Express models lights are not the right size by my measurements and are far too bright. Realism needs far more dimming and a better colour than express provide/recommend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts