Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
And of course electric.

Regards

John

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I think that sounds adds character to a layout. You don't need every loco equipped with sound - that would be chaotic. One or two adds atmosphere.

What I was thinking this week - for when I have distinguished visitors over to see the layout - was to have my Live Steam loco set up just idling in the loco yard giving off it's characteristic odour of steam and oil.

BTW: Good that the new software allows multiple choice poll replies now.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Good poll Peter - but you forgot electrics - & before anyone says "electrics - they only hum" - my DB 103 OHE (the Germans again) has the following sounds ;

"Clatter/chatter" of contactors (the real thing is an electro-mechanical beast as far as control goes - not much in the way of electronics) as it pulls away.
Motor whining
Horn (2 x types)
Compressor running (random or manual)
Brake squeal
Station announcement (in German, of course)
& probably a few more I hav'nt found yet.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In a way you could say that we have had sound on electric models for a long while even on dc systems but as motors have improved that has changed but yes I should of included Electrics Sorry, if any company's bring out a class 323 that would be a good example to have sound on.

Pete

·
Registered
58 Posts
DCC sound is all very well in locos but what about the clatter of a loose-couple freight or wagons being shunted?
Call me picky but a noisy loco with a train of nearly silent wagons just doesn't work for me. I think I would prefer to have some subtle, ambient background stuff going on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 7 Mar 2007, 12:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In a way you could say that we have had sound on electric models for a long while even on dc systems but as motors have improved that has changed but yes I should of included Electrics Sorry, if any company's bring out a class 323 that would be a good example to have sound on.

Pete

Not only could you have the whiney noises, but the "thunk thunk thunk" of the wheelflats proportional to the speed.....

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 7 Mar 2007, 21:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good poll Peter - but you forgot electrics - & before anyone says "electrics - they only hum" - my DB 103 OHE (the Germans again) has the following sounds ;

"Clatter/chatter" of contactors (the real thing is an electro-mechanical beast as far as control goes - not much in the way of electronics) as it pulls away.
Motor whining
Horn (2 x types)
Compressor running (random or manual)
Brake squeal
Station announcement (in German, of course)
& probably a few more I hav'nt found yet.
I've got a few sound electrics which have between 9 and 13 functions, obviously HO as they have had sound for quite some time, there all sorts of features like station announcements in German and English, pantographs going up and down, door opening, doors closing, engineers radio in cab, couplers crashing and so on.

BTW, BLI do sound wagons so you canhave a cattle wagon with cattle sounds etc.

Oh and the Trix E03 has digitally controlled raising and lowering of pantographs as do a couple of Maerklin locos.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 7 Mar 2007, 21:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've got a few sound electrics which have between 9 and 13 functions, obviously HO as they have had sound for quite some time, there all sorts of features like station announcements in German and English, pantographs going up and down, door opening, doors closing, engineers radio in cab, couplers crashing and so on.

BTW, BLI do sound wagons so you canhave a cattle wagon with cattle sounds etc.

Oh and the Trix E03 has digitally controlled raising and lowering of pantographs as do a couple of Maerklin locos.

Hi Neil,

I forgot the dimutive FLM railbus - on start up you hear the driver walking across the track, climbing into the cab, slamming the door & starting up !

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (andrewrg @ 7 Mar 2007, 14:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>DCC sound is all very well in locos but what about the clatter of a loose-couple freight or wagons being shunted?
Call me picky but a noisy loco with a train of nearly silent wagons just doesn't work for me. I think I would prefer to have some subtle, ambient background stuff going on.

Should be quite possible to record the sound (have to look for some old recordings though) of a loose fitted goods onto a sound decoder & fit into a covered/box wagon.

Busch do quite a range of static background range sounds (such as farmyard noises).

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 8 Mar 2007, 17:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Should be quite possible to record the sound (have to look for some old recordings though) of a loose fitted goods onto a sound decoder & fit into a covered/box wagon.

Busch do quite a range of static background range sounds (such as farmyard noises).
There was a similar thing posted on a thread by Dennis last year. It was made by an American company. There was a sound module and you could choose various different background noises like seaside or farm. Can't remember who made it though?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Bring it all on, I say. Steam, Diesel, the lot.

I think Doug's right, I probably wouldn't want every single loco fitted (or maybe I would??
), but sound & smoke gets my vote.

For ambient sound I use a Noch Sound System - quite a nifty gizmo, although not cheap at about £75 in the UK.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Paxman @ 8 Mar 2007, 12:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For ambient sound I use a Noch Sound System - quite a nifty gizmo, although not cheap at about £75 in the UK.

Forgot about the Noch one - very nice bit of kit.

With the abundance of mobile phones that have been replaced with upgrades those with recording may just have a use to record/playback background sounds - should be within the bounds of some people to sort out

BTW - anyone want to by a Nokia 6730i with recording facility ?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I notice from the poll that steam sound with smoke is way in front. I wouldn't reccomend the smoke as the oil used to create the smoke doesn't do the body of the model any good. If you want sound with genuine steam effects the go for Hornby's live steam range even if it is short of a cylinder or two.

Ozzie21

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 8 Mar 2007, 23:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I notice from the poll that steam sound with smoke is way in front. I wouldn't reccomend the smoke as the oil used to create the smoke doesn't do the body of the model any good. If you want sound with genuine steam effects the go for Hornby's live steam range even if it is short of a cylinder or two.

Ozzie21

Several years ago (pre DCC) I had a number of Fleischmann & Roco fitted with Seuthe smoke generators & used the Seuthe oil for them & had no ill effects at all.

However, I look forward to the day when Seuthe bring out a diesel smoke generator so that my DB 218's can chuck out huge plumes of thick black smoke on pulling away, like the real thing - eat yer' hearts out tree huggers ! (TIC).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts