Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am saving up for a DCC system at the moment, but I am stuck.
Which controller is the best for DCC?? I was thinking about getting the bachmann Dynamis because I liked the look of it.
Any suggestions will be helpful

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Years ago, I was keen on the ZTC cab controller because I liked the look of it. A few years on and I now know that looks aren't everything. Ease of use and handy useful features are more important.

Read the forums, look at what is out there see what other say about the various systems and then if you can, try one or two out. Find a shop that has one set up and try it out for yourself.

Nothing against the Dynamis - it may be right for you, but try out one or two other systems and you won't have any regrets later on.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
QUOTE (matthew47 @ 28 Jul 2008, 11:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am saving up for a DCC system at the moment, but I am stuck.
Which controller is the best for DCC?? I was thinking about getting the bachmann Dynamis because I liked the look of it.
Any suggestions will be helpful

Hello.
I would echo what Doug has said.
Decide how big your layout is going to be & what you want to do with it.
Go to a Model shop which stocks several brands of DCC controller & try them out.Go to a few Exhibitions & ask layout owners what they use & why. Read this forum & ask plenty of questions until you are fully aware of what each setup has & has not. There is no such thing as a stupid question. It's only stupid if you don't ask it.
Don't just go out & buy something because you like the look of it or someone else says its a good system.
Take your time & only buy when you know what you want & more importantly why you want it.
Have fun & enjoy the hobby.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
I couldnt agree more with the replies here go for more practicality than looks though, i know a few people who have and are pleased with their systems.
Look out for good reference material at your local library one book i would reccomend in general

Aspect of Modelling Digital Command Control By Ian Morton

it covers systems in a chart and is full of 'plain english' understandable advice on DCC
There are as has been said several retailers who have systems set up for you to try who attends shows try before you buy and spend your hard earned cash i have found they are very happy to give you advice and after all they get feedback from their customers about things for example the NCE powercab is said to control 4 locos but i was informed in N gauge it can be used for 9 quite comfortably this being a good example of the retailers feedback.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts