Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,882 Posts
The best way to do it is to have bus wires from the controller going round underneath the layout with thinner short wires dropped to them from every individual piece of track. However, you may be able to get away with connections at the end of every siding.

I'm not familiar with Fleischmann points so I don't know whether they need any alteration for best practice. Does the Fleischmann controller have short circuit protection? It ought to say so in the instructions.

Good luck with the project and I hope that you get as much pleasure from the hobby as I have had over many years.

·
Premium Member
2,882 Posts
Let me clarify my previous answer. When I said "at the ends of the sidings" that was just for simplicity. Anywhere along the siding past the last point (turnout) involved will do just as well. Your red marks seem to be in the right positions although you need two more on the top left sidings.

Electrofrog points have metal rails joining in the middle with no plastic involved. In this case you need insulated track joiners on the two rails. The lower blue marks are in the right places but not the top one. You need insulated track joiners on the two rails which join on every one of your points. If I've counted correctly you have seven points so 14 insulted joiners.

If there is any plastic where the rails join on a point then it is an insulfrog ones and doesn't need insulated track joiners. I can't see your picture clearly enough to see which type it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts