Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than continually hi-jack the Pendolino thread with Eurostar questions I thought I would try and put my mind at rest by posing this question in it's own right.

So, if EPS have got rid of all their locos that are capable of hauling a dead Eurostar what do they use to haul a dead Eurostar, I'm just intrigued.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (alastairq @ 21 Nov 2007, 19:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>perhaps a couple of 08s with a fancy paint job?

Won't be MUCH slower than the other options?

Surely they would use 09s - they have a higher top speed........

The thought of a pair of 09's in EPS livery "thundering" into St Pancras with a full length Eurostar in tow would be entertaining to say the least!

BTW Alastair why no mention of steeplecabs recently?

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Oakydoke @ 22 Nov 2007, 13:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>These are the ones you're talking about.

EuroTunnel diesel.

These look remarkably like ex NS or SNCB locos, is that the case?

QUOTE (Edwin @ 22 Nov 2007, 14:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I presume the reason the existing rescue locomotives are no longer used is that they lack the signalling equipment to run onto the high speed line.[/qoute]

That would make sense - it wouldn't be cost effective to modernise them.

The French have some diesels with this equipment but as far as I know there are none in the UK. So I don't know what would happen in the event of a traction power failure.

What happened to the French electrics that used to work through?

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So it could be fun when a Javelin breaks down then.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
And now just to add to the mix with HMG selling off/disposing of their stake in HS1 it seems that DBAG have applied to run ICE3 sets through the tunnel as a high speed service from Germany to London. This, if it goes ahead, will obviously increase use of the system and must by definition lead to an increased risk of failure. What then?

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
QUOTE (Ravenser @ 26 Nov 2007, 17:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>More practically - is this really an issue? Do the SNCF have rescue diesels on standby along their own routes to rescue failed TGVs?? My understanding was that the "contingency plan" was the "so-called "ghost stations" - loops along the route where a train in trouble can be got out of the way and the passengers detrained , presumably into buses. There are 3 between Lille and Paris and another between Lille and Calais

While I'm not sure if we have "ghost" stations this side I understand that HS1 has got slow speed speed crossovers (50mph) which allow trains to leapfrog each other. Having said that an awful lot of HS1 does not lend its self to easy road access for de-training.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 27 Nov 2007, 11:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Maybe if they fitted 1 : 1 scale NEM pockets to everything it would solve a lot of problems (as long as Bachmann did not fit them ).

Then you would only have the disagreements between tension lock, knuckle, Kadee and profi to deal with!

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.