Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Sir
Your magazine is very good and the content makes interesting reading each month. Why do we always have layouts in magazine's that are so big the average person like myself can only dream, please may we have some layouts designed for smaller places covered in the issues, this would, I feel, give alot more encouragment to people like myself.

Regards

Colina

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, the Shake-the-Box project layout in its basic form comes in at 9'x2'. That's pretty small.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
High Colina and welcome to the MRF.

One thing to remember is that the 'Shake the Box' series is in 00 scale. If your eyesight and hands are up to it you could get the same thing in N Gauge into an area of say 6ft x 1ft 6ins.

Failing that try to get your hands on a copy of the C.J Freezer Booklet '60 Plans for Small Locations'. This has layout designs from as small as 4ft 6ins x 3ft 3ins continuous running layouts plus some 'out & back' branch line layouts as small as 8ft 6ins x 1ft 3ins.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
123 Posts
in a couple of the early issues they did a layout called Horndale about 4 ft square a roundy roundy which i use as a running in track without scenery . but the original with scenery added looked quite useable .small is beautiful

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Colina

Type Carl Arendt into Google. Although American he does have a lot of micro layouts that could be used. If you like shunting puzzles type Inglenook into Google. You could have a layout as small as 4ft x 1ft and tast the brain at the same time.

Good luck

Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Colina

Type Carl Arendt into Google. Although American he does have a lot of micro layouts that could be used. If you like shunting puzzles type Inglenook into Google. You could have a layout as small as 4ft x 1ft and test the brain at the same time.

Good luck

Dave

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Peco (www.peco-uk.com) still publish the book Expat suggests, although you can often pick up a second-hand one for a £1 or 2 at model railway exhibitions which is a bit cheaper than buying new. In fact visiting a few exhibitions is probably the best way of picking up ideas - there are often small layouts on display as well as the big ones.

Peco also publish booklets on N-gauge plans and others.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Colina

I posed a similar question regarding micro model railways & small space modelling & was given lots of great advice & inspiration from other members so mmuch so I am now constructing a layout in a space 6ft x 11".Please feel free to follow the correspondence listed under Paulo. There you will find some thought provoking & truly inspirational web sites & ideas

Regrds Paulo

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Follow this this link to read the topic Paulo is referring to.

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts