1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Technical consultant. Computer Science, Automation, Statistic, AI
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear community,

I am glad to join, thank you.
I am a poly - engineer always seeking for innovations and intertwining my skills with hobbies.
Looking forward to find mates here and become a valuable contributor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plenty of room for innovation too. A fair bet that a couple of months exposure to current product, and you'll be thinking 'I can do better than this'.
:)
Anyone should be respectful to what is there and hope that someone will agree with that 'better than this' one day.

·
In depth idiot
7,808 Posts
The background to 'I can do better than this'. Thirty years ago the Bachmann range was launched in the UK supplying ready to run OO; started by a businessman who had looked at the existing competition, and on the basis of what he knew of Chinese HO production mainly for the North American market, thought 'I can do better than this'. This brought about a sea change to the UK market for RTR OO model railway product, which I had abandoned in the sixties, for the joys of kit and scratch building in order to have both decently accurate models and models of subjects which the very limited RTR ranges not only did not cover, but never looked like trying, even at lo-fi standard..

Quite abruptly, it was possible to buy off the shelf OO models to the standard achieved by competent kit builders and painters. There were many loud voices of doom and woe mourning this development: yet the market, suppliers and range of product available has grown dramatically. But it ain't all done yet...

·
Registered
60 Posts
The background to 'I can do better than this'. Thirty years ago the Bachmann range was launched in the UK supplying ready to run OO; started by a businessman who had looked at the existing competition, and on the basis of what he knew of Chinese HO production mainly for the North American market, thought 'I can do better than this'. This brought about a sea change to the UK market for RTR OO model railway product, which I had abandoned in the sixties, for the joys of kit and scratch building in order to have both decently accurate models and models of subjects which the very limited RTR ranges not only did not cover, but never looked like trying, even at lo-fi standard..

Quite abruptly, it was possible to buy off the shelf OO models to the standard achieved by competent kit builders and painters. There were many loud voices of doom and woe mourning this development: yet the market, suppliers and range of product available has grown dramatically. But it ain't all done yet...
This exactly, I stopped with 4mm and went 7mm because detail and quality was far better, even kit built! 9then again it was ALL kit built back then apart from very expensive brass RTR models.
I dropped 7mm and came back to 4mm about 10 or 15 years ago because such great improvements had been made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. When there is enough time, it is a pleasure to struggle with scratch building. And exactly , the opportunities made a leap, not saying about even 10 years, several years. In my opinion, it is on the run for surprises yet to come.
It is also beneficial. When I worked for an automation company, at first, we took some ready PCB's from China and then amended it to perfection of our own (both HW and SW).
2. When there is not enough time all goes gloomy :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts