Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a couple of H0 Bachmann US diesels for my next layout which will be US freight. One was DCC friendly and just required a decoder plugging in. The other was a £20 B23/B30. It has a live chassis but the motor is isolated. The bottom contact is simply a brass flat strip which contacts the chassis. Stripping down is quite easy involving removal (two screws) of the diesel tank then a further two screws which attach the chassis and plastic body. Three wires to the simple circuit board screwed to the top of the chassis have to be unsoldered, the circuit board removed (two screws) followed by the top strap to the chassis (two screws), with care the motor and flywheel assembly can be lifted out without removing the bogies.

The loose brass commutator connection can be straightened out, soldered to a suitable wire and covered with heat shrink tubing. The motor is then carefully re-located with the new wire up the side. Refit the top strap and circuit board and connect the two motor wires to the grey and orange (no particular way round) resolder all the previous removed wires and connect the black and red decoder wires to the two parallel strips running the length of the circuit card (again no particular way round as you can programme forward and reverse afterwards). I didn't bother with the lights for now but maybe later, I believe there should be resisters fitted across the LEDs, at the moment both lights are permanently on. There is plenty of room for the decoder to lie on top of the circuit board, suitably insulated of course.

For the price I was quite surprised to find that the loco was fitted with a 5 pole skew wound motor.

The running is very good, in fact much better than my GP40 which came DCC fitted for £23 from the same source.

Brian

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MMaD

It is my intention to have a US freight based layout in the loft, it is well underway at present. Currently I have a UK based layout in the small bedroom. The loft layout with careful planning will be able to convert from US freight to British passenger/freight. I have so many requirements it is difficult knowing which to prioritize. Block control, Kadee couplings, Cable point operation with electrical feedback to name three. I started with the EZ-command and upgraded to NCE, the EZ can still be useful as it could be connected to an isolated track and provide another controller, I find it frustrating to have to keep entering numbers to change control.

Brian

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
The reason I ask this is I'm busy switching to American - Southern Pacific, gives a lot of latitude with the roads you can run.My intrest in American railroads has taken a long time to develop, but after being an operator on a large DCC layout (probably close to 1500 ft of track) my intrest was stimulated. But that's by the by. When I was at Warley
this year I joined the NMRAUK which supports American modelling and has many user support groups throughout the UK. Our membership is close to 800 people. Many of the clubs operate HO modular so your stock gets a decent run. My own club operates to a time table which is even better. After being very disapointed with the support for my own local MRC who have a 6ft x 2ft shunting plank. I was highly delighted to find such strong support of the NMRAUK. Membership is 20 quid a year, they have Annual Conventions, and as I say regional support and monthly club meetings. Your local group can be contacted via Mike Arnold 01702 584081 if your intrested and need more details I'd be delighted to forward them to you, and anyone else who's intrested

MNRAUK
thumbsup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MMaD,

Thanks for that info', until now I wasn't aware that there was a british arm of the NMRA. I shall join then I shall be able to go to the May meet near Derby.

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts