Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to fit a decoder on a Dapol 0 6 0 J94 Tank Loco? It looks very small for adding anything to it. I will be running a DCC layout and have found a nicely weathered model on Ebay, but the vendor is not that conversant with chipping and neither am I.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum

The J94 can be fitted with DCC i found this guide on Bromsgroves site with the EX dapol loco.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14899

I cant get on to the Dapol site this morning but there are install guides on there as well cant remmeber seeing on for the J94 though as i model in N scale ..... if i can get on later and find anything i will post it.

If fitting a decoder seems daunting sure John at Bromsgrove models can help you

http://www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/

·
In depth idiot
7,668 Posts
It is surprisingly easy, there is plenty of room inside. It is necessary to part dismantle the model to get access to the motor terminals to disconnect the direct track feeds from the motor brushes. Once the top of the body is off (released by undoing a screw in the chimney, and a pair of screws on the underside, it then unclips) the largest component that has to be removed is a ballast weight that shrouds the motor and gears. If you refer to Hornby's service diagram http://static.hornby.com/files/ss-211e-j94...omotive-296.pdf this is the larger 'weight', item number 1. On the front underside there is a downward protrusion, easily sawn off. That frees up a space in the smokebox end of the loco, conveniently close to where the pick up connections come through to the motor terminals, and large enough for a Lenz Gold with room to spare. There are voids that may be filled with ballast too, if concerned at the small loss from the supplied weight.

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,910 Posts
Another way is to put a Lenz mini silver in the coal bunker. You don't need to use the normal gold or silvers nowadays.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Given that the J94 is 00 I would have thought there would be no problem finding room for a decoder.

I model in N Gauge and have been able to fit a decoder into the smallest 0-6-0 using the CTelektronik DCX74Z chip.

See here for details http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/product_in...products_id=830

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have been having some thoughts about leaving locos coupled to say a small van or other wagon. the chip could be placed in the wagon and a small umbilical run between the two. With mini wires and small heat shrink (black) the umbilical could be made to look like a vacuum or airline.
there are mini connectors available which could be sited under the wagon if decoupling was required.

·
Registered
139 Posts
QUOTE (railstimulator @ 5 Feb 2009, 11:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have been having some thoughts about leaving locos coupled to say a small van or other wagon. the chip could be placed in the wagon and a small umbilical run between the two. With mini wires and small heat shrink (black) the umbilical could be made to look like a vacuum or airline.

I would suggest something like a GW shunters wagon, but it's not prototypical.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** I guess the question is why - its a very rare loco that cannot have a decoder fitted directly in N and I cannot think of one that all that difficult in 4mm scale.... certainly all are less work than trying to add a wagon coupled to the loco convincingly!

BTW - not a good idea to add heatshrink to wire between wagons and loco - even on 4mm scale, it'll stiffen the wire too much, and in N, it'll just not work... Simply use the appropriate sized wire.

Richard

QUOTE (railstimulator @ 5 Feb 2009, 20:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have been having some thoughts about leaving locos coupled to say a small van or other wagon. the chip could be placed in the wagon and a small umbilical run between the two. With mini wires and small heat shrink (black) the umbilical could be made to look like a vacuum or airline.
there are mini connectors available which could be sited under the wagon if decoupling was required.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts