Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is a bit of a long shot but I have an Arnold Ee 3/3 Swiss shunter which I had hoped to fit a DCC decoder into. It currently looks like a non-starter (including advice from Digitrains) as there doesn't seem to be room anywhere even for the new tiny DCX75 from CTelektronik.

Does anyone know of anyone who may have managed this - it seems strange to me that Arnold as one of the earliest supporters of DCC made a loco that was so DCC unfriendly? That may be just the way it is but does anyone know if the new version due out this year from the re-born Arnold is DCC friendly (possibly with a NEM651 slot)?

Hard to imagine a good size Swiss layout without one but if you are wondering what an Ee 3/3 looks like it is one of these:

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (Geoff Booth @ 18 Apr 2008, 19:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This one is a bit of a long shot but I have an Arnold Ee 3/3 Swiss shunter which I had hoped to fit a DCC decoder into. It currently looks like a non-starter (including advice from Digitrains) as there doesn't seem to be room anywhere even for the new tiny DCX75 from CTelektronik.

Hello Geoff,

I've seen a DCX74 decoder in an Arnold Köf 3! There will be a way of doing it, although you may have to mill away some of the chassis block to fit in...the link Poliss gives is useful and actually shows that bracket above and around the motor being removed to make space. You just have to be prepared to make some permanent modifications!! Just don't give up!

QUOTE (Geoff Booth @ 18 Apr 2008, 19:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does anyone know of anyone who may have managed this - it seems strange to me that Arnold as one of the earliest supporters of DCC made a loco that was so DCC unfriendly? That may be just the way it is but does anyone know if the new version due out this year from the re-born Arnold is DCC friendly (possibly with a NEM651 slot)?
Not all of Arnolds designs were theirs originally - they bought Lima Minitrain and other makes so not everything came from a DCC pioneer, and of course anything from Arnold dating before they embraced the digital way would likewise be un prepared. Later versions of models did have interfaces, and some models with an 8 preceeding the item number came with a decoder already installed!

Regarding the new model, yes it will have an NEM interface, and you would expect so for an UVP: 139,00 €
The details are on the Hornby Deutschland website:

http://www.hornby-deutschland.de

Navigate to Arnold and part the way down the new items list is the new Ee 3/3 which suggests it has the "NEM-Schnittstelle" if you click for details. Hope this helps!

And how are you enjoying your new layout by the way? I forgot to say it looked very good from the pictures you provided, with plenty of mainline and of course a certain famous bridge! Will you be attemping the scenery yourself?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (poliss @ 18 Apr 2008, 21:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can't find your exact model, but it looks very similar to the Arnold E63. This link (German) has step by step photo's of a decoder being fitted.
http://www.mtkb.de/Umbau/Ar_E_63.htm Babelfishing gives a translation of sorts. :)
Hope it helps.

Thanks poliss, looks like a good place to compare, I think the problem when Digitrains looked at it was the lack of space between the top of the motor housing and the the bodywork. I will take it apart and see what differences there are to the E63.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (goedel @ 18 Apr 2008, 22:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello Geoff,

I've seen a DCX74 decoder in an Arnold Köf 3! There will be a way of doing it, although you may have to mill away some of the chassis block to fit in...the link Poliss gives is useful and actually shows that bracket above and around the motor being removed to make space. You just have to be prepared to make some permanent modifications!! Just don't give up!

Not all of Arnolds designs were theirs originally - they bought Lima Minitrain and other makes so not everything came from a DCC pioneer, and of course anything from Arnold dating before they embraced the digital way would likewise be un prepared. Later versions of models did have interfaces, and some models with an 8 preceeding the item number came with a decoder already installed!

Regarding the new model, yes it will have an NEM interface, and you would expect so for an UVP: 139,00 €
The details are on the Hornby Deutschland website:

http://www.hornby-deutschland.de

Navigate to Arnold and part the way down the new items list is the new Ee 3/3 which suggests it has the "NEM-Schnittstelle" if you click for details. Hope this helps!

And how are you enjoying your new layout by the way? I forgot to say it looked very good from the pictures you provided, with plenty of mainline and of course a certain famous bridge! Will you be attemping the scenery yourself?

Thanks, as you say it may well boil down to my willing ness to "adjust the body work"; €139 for the new model makes it worth my while persevering!!

The layout is currently being wired and needs reversing modules to keep the polarity sorted on the crossovers and the scissors. I will be doing the scenery and am currently mulling over how best to do the signalling
; I have a good stash of Kyodo Swiss prototype LED signals.

I liked the plan for your main station; I noticed that you are planning on hidden sidings below the main area. I was cautioned about that when designing only in as much as what access you need to the hidden sidings (depth and accessibility for the fiddly bits at the back where all the problems inevitably occur...). Mine will be hidden but slightly higher than the main area under a piece of lift off light weight scenery. As it is in my house and not going on the road I think it is a question of how "hidden" you need it to be vice ease of access. There will no doubt be many views on that! Good luck anyway.

BTW it is the East Surrey N Gauge Show at Redhill tomorrow which is generally an excellent day for those of us of the alpine N persuasion

Cheers

Geoff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts