Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
nickb
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a 2003 Model Rail, Phil Grainger makes reference to a 3 wire ZTC decoder which is simple to install in pre-China Hornby ringfield motors (very similar to Zero 1 chip fitting by the sound of it).

What are experienced users doing to run their older locos; eg tender drive steam, or even the straight HSTs etc? Some technical advice would really be appreciated - so far, I have not had a go at these, as I am unsure how to fully isloate the motor, and do not want to spend a heap on new wheels etc - cheaper to sell the older models on, and replace with newer ones with all wheel pick ups/5 poles etc; however. there are a couple I really do not want to part with.

Thanks in anticipation!

Nick

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
my experience with older Ringfield motors is they really don't run well with DCC. To be frank I don't think they justify the effort. Controllability, torque and slow speed running are all problems with this configuration, but it largely depends on your expectation.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I agree with MMD that the older three pole ringfields aren't worth the effort and should be replaced with some better. The 5 pole motors seem to perform okay but I've only fitted Lenz silver decoders to the four ringfield motored locos I have.

Ozzie21

B)-->QUOTE(Nick B @ 10 Jan 2007, 08:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In a 2003 Model Rail, Phil Grainger makes reference to a 3 wire ZTC decoder which is simple to install in pre-China Hornby ringfield motors (very similar to Zero 1 chip fitting by the sound of it).

What are experienced users doing to run their older locos; eg tender drive steam, or even the straight HSTs etc? Some technical advice would really be appreciated - so far, I have not had a go at these, as I am unsure how to fully isloate the motor, and do not want to spend a heap on new wheels etc - cheaper to sell the older models on, and replace with newer ones with all wheel pick ups/5 poles etc; however. there are a couple I really do not want to part with.

Thanks in anticipation!

Nick
[/quote]

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nick, personally I've not experienced any problems with converting my fairly new Hornby made 2P and an old Airfix 4F to DCC, both of course have tender mounted ringfields. I'm not sure if they are 3 or 5 pole though. I found the instructions and pictures in Peco's installing DCC decoders pamphlet very helpful.

Briefly all you need to do is deconnect the capacitor, attach the red and black leads to the black wires sticking up through the frames and the grey and orange wires to the terminals on the side of the motor. To be on the safe side I covered the metal weight in the tender in insulating tape to avoid any contact between metal and decoder. With a bit of double sided tape on top of the weight and the decoder fixed to this, the whole thing tucks neatly inside the tender body when it is reattahced.

Of course running isn't as great as the newer loco driven models, but then again it wasn't under DC so I guess it depends what you are looking for.

I'm still in the process of testing how they work with loads etc, but so far so good. Hope it works out for you

Mike

·
Registered
536 Posts
Nick
Conversion of a Hornby Ringfield tender motor is covered here Ringfield Motor to DCC Scroll down about 3/4 of the page until you find the heading "The Ringfield Motor".

My Hornby locos equipped with either Bachmann or Lenz decoders all run ok

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
QUOTE In a 2003 Model Rail, Phil Grainger makes reference to a 3 wire ZTC decoder which is simple to install in pre-China Hornby ringfield motors (very similar to Zero 1 chip fitting by the sound of it).

I have used a similar ZTC decoder years ago it's not what you need for your ringfield, you really need a nice modern decoder which gives you lots of control. I installed a TCS M1 this morning in a Hornby 2P thats going to be sold on that that runs really well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
As Im using DCC in the garden I have found that Stay alive systems are pretty much essential, that said, I have noticed that these systems do appear to help with the slow running characteristics of a ringfield motor

decoder wise the digitrax range of decoders seem to to the job quite well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts