Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
In depth idiot
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You don't have to read around much on line to find people struggling with fitting decoders to their locos. Why is body removal necessary?

Any steam loco that has a tender is equipped with a vacant space just crying out to be utilised. Make a void accessible from the underside, or from the bottom of the coal space, with the socket in place, and a four pin plug connection to the loco, and fitting a decoder need involve no difficult wrestling with a very detailed loco body to get at the interior. This way the loco body is freed to be full of weight too. Tank engines may be more of a test of ingenuity, but at least plain tank sides usually confer a decent area to hold on to when removing a loco body.

As for anything twin bogie diesel or electric, the usual centre 'box' between the bogies need only have an opening in its' base giving access to a void with a socket in it, and decoder fitting would be the work of moments. For those models where that feature is not present a removeable body panel (following panel joins of the prototype) again covering a suitable void should not be impossible.

Anyone else feel the same? And if so, how can this be communicated effectively to the manufacturers?

·
Administrator
9,856 Posts
I would echo those comments.

As for how to communicate it to the manufacturers, my guess is that they probably already know it is necessary and will eventually work it into their new models but it will take time. I may be mistaken here, but when I visited the Scalextric website a few weeks ago I got the distinct impression that the new cars can take a pluggable decoder along the lines you have suggested. I would have say having converted a couple Minis to digital and a Ferrari (leg amputation) that is was a lot more difficult than doing a loco - even the Scot.

Mind you with decoders like the TCS DP2X-UK being as small as this, just making the body easier on and off would be a start. This one is in my Patriot

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I expect it's all down to cost - to put decoder sockets into locomotive tenders would inevitably cost a little more money, not a lot but it does, of course add up.

The idea of removable tank sides is a good one, but again the extra tooling would probably add to the costs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its this way already for some of the US outline stuff.

Broadway limited steam models often have pop out coal load in the tender, with the decoder socket underneath, no tools, no messing about, just press down the rear of the coal moulding and the front pops up, lift the whole assembly out.

Very nice.

They also have similar on some of the diesel outline stuff, where as suggested, a roof panel pops out.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
So as usual British RTR is behind the times! What we need in GB is a RTR maker that produces accurate, finescale rtr models with the refinements listed above. C'mon Hornby, it aint that hard!

·
Registered
531 Posts
QUOTE So as usual British RTR is behind the times! What we need in GB is a RTR maker that produces accurate, finescale rtr models with the refinements listed above. C'mon Hornby, it aint that hard!

Interesting points here. I would add my usual gripe - it is also not that hard to include lighting in the superb coaches now being produced! Pullmans had lights about 25 years ago!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts