Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you run it straight out of the box on DC for a while, in both directions, checking all the lights if it is a diesel or electric, you ensure that all is correct before you add the decoder.

If something subsequently does not work after you have fitted the decoder, then you know the problem is with the decoder, or the fitting, and not the engine.

AlanB

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Kraptor,

As Alan pointed out in his post any defects in DC should be resolved before fitting a decoder ...... the reccomendations i have seen suggest running in half an hour each way on a track at around half speed or on a loco tester.

The gearing gets a chance to settle in more .... on some of mine they run a lot smoother and queiter after this run in period.

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 13 Mar 2009, 03:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...... the reccomendations i have seen suggest running in half an hour each way on a track at around half speed or on a loco tester.

Is the loco tester you refer to here similar to a rolling road? As I currently don't have space for a continuous loop one of these would make quite some sense on my work bench.

·
Registered
526 Posts
QUOTE (Lancashire Fusilier @ 12 Mar 2009, 21:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is the loco tester you refer to here similar to a rolling road? As I currently don't have space for a continuous loop one of these would make quite some sense on my work bench.

I certainly use one of these but have found that programming with them is not as successful as running in on full track power.

As to the OP, run in DC locos on DC and DCC fitted locos on DCC. The marginal ones are DCC ready where you can plug a decoder straight in. I think I would make sure that any loco bought without a decoder fitted should be run on DC to test it before fitting the decoder.

The exception is dealer fit. If it doesn't run, take it back.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Is the loco tester you refer to here similar to a rolling road?

I use a Bachrus rolling road for running in locos prior to fitting decoders. It's also useful for working out which wheel / pickup combination is not working properly or even which section of wheel back has some "invisible" insulation on it.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts