Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Thanks to everyone on this forum for being patient with those of us just coming back to model rail and getting to grips with DCC.
I model the LMS in the 30,s and some time ago built a number of locos in OO with RG4 motors (pity still not available), I read somewhere that I need to be careful with the choice of decoder for these locos.
I have looked at the makers web sites and on line manuals but find trying to identify a decoder a bit difficult.
I do not need a lot of functions as would only be fitting a fligkering firebox using the head and tail light connections which seem to come with all decoders.

Anyone with advice on the type of decoder suitable for coreless motors please
Robert

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi Robert,

Best advice I can give is to go for something like a Lenz Silver/Gold or the ESU Lokpilot (there are others but I have fitted a lot of Lenz & ESU) or maybe one of the Zimo range. All these have the ability to "tune" the decoder to the motor. They can be a little time consuming to set up but once done that's it.

Other members may be able to recommend other decoders that they have experience with - I would avoid any of the "bottom end" decoders though. As you have invested in good motors do them justice with a decent decoder.

Before fitting a decoder take a little time to make sure the loco is running well on DC, pay particular attention to the wheels & pickups. A good loco will run even better on DCC, but a poor one will run worse !

Hope this helps - any further info' - just ask away.

·
Registered
825 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 8 Mar 2007, 18:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Robert,

Best advice I can give is to go for something like a Lenz Silver/Gold or the ESU Lokpilot (there are others but I have fitted a lot of Lenz & ESU) or maybe one of the Zimo range. All these have the ability to "tune" the decoder to the motor. They can be a little time consuming to set up but once done that's it.
The tuning generally refers to setting up the Back EMF. The fundamental requirement for coreless motors is that the decoder has high frequency drive. Different manufacturers have different marketing terms for this. Zimo are certainly suitable as are all recent Lenz as far as I know.

Andrew Crosland
http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk

·
Banned
135 Posts
Hi Guys I have been looking for info on Portescape motors and upgrading them to DCC, has any one got any more info on this subject as I would like to DCC a loco with a portescape motor.

Steve

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
In practise, any modern decoder design, which will have high frequency motor control will be fine. Even the cheapest budget models now have this. The problems with coreless were a dozen years ago when decoders only had low frequency control.

If very concerned, pick a decoder maker who document explicit settings for coreless motors (Maxon, Faulhaber, Escap, etc.). Zimo does this, and also make some of the best decoders around.

- Nigel

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I concur. I put a Digitrax decoder (a red one, can't recall the number) in my kit built Black 5 (bought second hand) with Portescap a number of years ago - it runs superbly. The only problem is that the Hornby Black 5 runs just as well if not better.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts