Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst I thoroughly enjoy reading the Hornby Magazine, I wonder if you have a secret 'Spot the deliberate mistake Competition'? As every month there seems to be at least one or two, yet no one mentions spotting any.(Until now!). When looking at the track diagram for the excellant Wellbridge layout (in the current issue) the numbers showing the sites of the Goods Shed and the Signal box do not appear in the diagram. The number 2 seems to occupy both relevant sites. If you need a proof reader I know a candidate
I like the Magazine very much and would like to be able to obtain issues one and two if reprints are made ...Pew

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's not a case of not having proof readers. I proof read just about every page, and so do Andy Roden and Mike Wild. Sometimes you read what you expect to read i.e. your mind thinks it is reading something that isn't there. The other problem, and I think this is the case with the Wellbridge feature, is that sometimes the corrections are marked up on the page proofs, but the designer doesn't action them. This can happen when the designer is busy making all of the alterations to the main text and he carries on through the pages, but overlooks the panels and diagrams.

It is unfortunate that these haven't been picked up at the final stage, but with around 90 pages of editorial - more than any of the other UK model titles by the way - there will always be the odd slip up I guess. We are a small team and there is a lot to get through, but we must do better! We will always strive to eliminate mistakes and accept constructive criticism. The labeling errors on Wellbridge are pretty straightforward to work out. The goods shed and signal box are hardly likely to be platforms, so hopefully most readers had no trouble working this out. As for the Harford Street track plan, there is a cross-over missed off the through platforms. Again, apologies for us not picking this up.

Someone commented on the 'x's not matching up, but I think they do. Either side of the Harford Street Station there are arrows pointing 'To x via loops'. I don't think it is unreasonable to work out that these meet under the high level line at Limehouse Fields. The spur from Mile End shed similarly says 'To Harford Street' so clearly connects to the main line off scene under the high level line. Perhaps we could have used dotted lines, but this may have cluttered the plan.

One final point; we are only as good as the sketches and rough drafts we are sent for track plans. Our designer, Matt Chapman, spends many hours creating these for each issue, especially all of the Anthony New plans. Some are better than others in terms of the detail supplied, and obviously layout owners will have varying degrees of skill when it comes to drawing a scale plan of their layout. Sometimes there is barely any detail, and sometimes guess what?........... there are crossovers, sidings and other bits of pointwork missing from their original!

Something for us to work on no doubt.

Black 5 Man

1 - 2 of 2 Posts