Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to build a point control panel. I would like to represent the lines using adhesive tape about 6mm wide. Many years ago, PCB layout tape might have done the job but since CAD arrived I doubt anybody does that any more. I certainly failed to find any on the Farnell website.

So any suggestions where I might get some?

David

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I recall Dymo/Esselte make label tapes in, I think, 6, 9 and 12mm widths in a variety of colours. Try Staples or other office supply people, perhaps?
Regards,
John Webb

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at the panel again today and think that maybe 3mm would be a better choice as the horizontal lines will be on 15mm centres. Two strips 6mm wide will leave only 3mm blank and I don't think that's enough

David

·
Registered
536 Posts
David
I have always used car lining tape. Halfords or a local car accessory shop stock reels of this in various colours, it self-adhesive too. Though I've only ever used 2mm wide tape which when laid out looks the real business especially when the switches and LED etc fitted in the panel facia too.
I once used some 4mm but it looked far to wide.

Good luck anyway with whatever you go with

·
Registered
204 Posts
An alternative is to design your panel in a drawing package and print it out on paper. Stick the paper to the panel and then apply varnish over the top (checking that the varnish is compatible with the printer ink).

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
A further alternative is to print out on paper and then laminate in plastic - gives a lovely smooth and easily cleaned surface. You can used double-sided carpet tape or the like to hold it down to the panel - or rely on the nuts which hold switches to the panel.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>car lining tape (and the others too)
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried Halfords website last night but there is so little posted there. I will pay a visit next weekend.

2mm sound good too!

David

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked a reel of 3mm tape from Halfords at lunchtime today. I had a hard job finding it but was eventually successful. Not quite as difficult as Arthur Dent trying to gain access to plans for the bypass which threatened his home but not far off (No wild cat).

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts