Model Railway Forum banner
181 - 185 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
It does indeed, John. It covers all of pre-war Deutschland including Ost Preussen and part of Poland and runs to nearly 1000 pages. Its extremely detailed with some 500 sections but section 201 alone, (Koln- Dusseldorf- Hamm) runs to 20 pages. The pages, curiously, aren't numbered as one but in sections. The section covering Hamburg- Berlin and surrounding areas runs to 216 pages.

My son, looking for something different for Christmas but on a students budget found this in a second-hand bookshop. ... Boslandew (alias David)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I found the following snippet of information about the Děčín–Dresden Elbe route from Wikipedia

Between 1949 and 1951, the second track was rebuilt. At the end of the 1950s double-decker commuter trains were introduced to the route. Gradually, high-quality long-distance trains returned to the through route. From the late 1950s, an international express service, called Vindobona ran on the line between Berlin and Vienna. Other services on the line included the [Hungaria (Berlin–Budapest) and the Pannonia Express (Berlin-Sofia). Freight traffic also increased steadily.
Visa-free travel between East Germany and Czechoslovakia was introduced on 1 January 1972. On 29 January 1972, a passenger train pair ran between Dresden and Děčín for the first time since 1945. At the same time an express service was introduced to Prague which allowed day trippers to visit the Czech capital of Prague.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I only read the opening post, but I'd like to point out that my MMR interest has taught me more about world geography, history and politics than I ever would have imagined.
Thanks for the informative maps at the start.

Reactions: SimonBoulton
181 - 185 of 185 Posts