Model Railway Forum banner
181 - 196 of 196 Posts

· Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Wow.

Now that would really be an interesting to browse through. Does the 1937 Kursbuch include all routes, including through to Konigsberg etc?

Best regards .................... Greyvoices (alias John)

· Registered
111 Posts
It does indeed, John. It covers all of pre-war Deutschland including Ost Preussen and part of Poland and runs to nearly 1000 pages. Its extremely detailed with some 500 sections but section 201 alone, (Koln- Dusseldorf- Hamm) runs to 20 pages. The pages, curiously, aren't numbered as one but in sections. The section covering Hamburg- Berlin and surrounding areas runs to 216 pages.

My son, looking for something different for Christmas but on a students budget found this in a second-hand bookshop. ... Boslandew (alias David)

· Registered
267 Posts
I found the following snippet of information about the Děčín–Dresden Elbe route from Wikipedia

Between 1949 and 1951, the second track was rebuilt. At the end of the 1950s double-decker commuter trains were introduced to the route. Gradually, high-quality long-distance trains returned to the through route. From the late 1950s, an international express service, called Vindobona ran on the line between Berlin and Vienna. Other services on the line included the [Hungaria (Berlin–Budapest) and the Pannonia Express (Berlin-Sofia). Freight traffic also increased steadily.
Visa-free travel between East Germany and Czechoslovakia was introduced on 1 January 1972. On 29 January 1972, a passenger train pair ran between Dresden and Děčín for the first time since 1945. At the same time an express service was introduced to Prague which allowed day trippers to visit the Czech capital of Prague.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I hope you welcome a post by a newbie on this topic, so I was wondering if anyone can help me with what type of buildings I can have on a GDR layout.
Looking on the Web and auction sites I am spinning my wheels going back to the same old models etc.
I know there is a concrete hi-rise available and a petrol station, but can anyone help me with just ordinary houses etc?
Many thanks for help in advance,
Fifi.🐈

· Registered
271 Posts
I know the area between Dresden and Decin quite well. Back in the '70's we used to do day trips from Dresden to Pirna, Bad Schandau, Schöna and Decin. The first part of the trip was by double-deck cars pulled by BR243 from Dresden to Schöna, then across the river to Hrensko and a boat to Decin. Even now when I'm there I spend a lot of time in the Elbe valley except now there is a Siemens Desiro BR641 running between Bad Schandau and Decin. Of course, there is a EuroCity train every 2 hours but I have more fun riding the local double-deckers, DMUs and railcars.

· Registered
267 Posts
I know the area between Dresden and Decin quite well. Back in the '70's we used to do day trips from Dresden to Pirna, Bad Schandau, Schöna and Decin. The first part of the trip was by double-deck cars pulled by BR243 from Dresden to Schöna, then across the river to Hrensko and a boat to Decin. Even now when I'm there I spend a lot of time in the Elbe valley except now there is a Siemens Desiro BR641 running between Bad Schandau and Decin. Of course, there is a EuroCity train every 2 hours but I have more fun riding the local double-deckers, DMUs and railcars.
Very interesting, that's a part of East Germany that I like and have become very interested in after taking the train up to Sebnitz from Bad Schandau. I'm curious if you remember anything about the cross border trains to Decin and beyond? I have been finding it hard to find much information except for the named international trains like the Vindobona and Pannonia

· Registered
267 Posts
Going back to the original question, it would depend to a degree what kind of setting you are thinking of for the layout, rural or urban? For building kits, the Auhagen range would be a good place to start as they produce many buildings based on actual East German prototypes. The pitched roof, three storey apartment block is particularly good and based on a type that was built from the 1950's onwards and can still be seen today.

Piko make a very good range of Plattenbau style apartment blocks, these can be made to different sizes and heights by adding kits together. The design is called WBS70 and appeared all over the DDR from the mid 70's. Piko also make a number of kits for single storey buildings more suited to a rural setting, the single storey cottage type ones appear to be based on an actual post war design. Faller also do a kit for the earlier P2/5 type of Plattenbau apartment blocks but they are quite expensive and fiddly I think.

For pre war town houses, I have always liked the kits that were originally made by Pola but are now produced by Faller, they had a rundown appearance that was very typical of how these houses appeared in the DDR, with missing plaster and exposed brickwork.

Busch also make a number of kits for DDR specific buildings, vehicles and accessories.

I'll try and find some of the catalogue numbers for you later

· Registered
4 Posts
Going back to the original question, it would depend to a degree what kind of setting you are thinking of for the layout, rural or urban? For building kits, the Auhagen range would be a good place to start as they produce many buildings based on actual East German prototypes. The pitched roof, three storey apartment block is particularly good and based on a type that was built from the 1950's onwards and can still be seen today.

Piko make a very good range of Plattenbau style apartment blocks, these can be made to different sizes and heights by adding kits together. The design is called WBS70 and appeared all over the DDR from the mid 70's. Piko also make a number of kits for single storey buildings more suited to a rural setting, the single storey cottage type ones appear to be based on an actual post war design. Faller also do a kit for the earlier P2/5 type of Plattenbau apartment blocks but they are quite expensive and fiddly I think.

For pre war town houses, I have always liked the kits that were originally made by Pola but are now produced by Faller, they had a rundown appearance that was very typical of how these houses appeared in the DDR, with missing plaster and exposed brickwork.

Busch also make a number of kits for DDR specific buildings, vehicles and accessories.

I'll try and find some of the catalogue numbers for you later
Thank you! My idea is to have a small track outside, almost hidden in places, so that the track seems longer. I will mix urban and a little rural in the space I have.
I was lucky this week as Mum & Dad got me East German Modern for an Easter present as well as the Berlin Wall set.
I know that it is a bit cheesy but I am going to use it to separate the HO area from my 28mm fantasy wildlife pond!
I will get a couple of large rocks for a rural setting again to separate from the Urban area.
Thank you all for your great help.
I will let you know how I get on as I progress.
Lots of love,
Fifi 🐈🐱

· Registered
4 Posts
Excellent Fifi, please do keep us updated with your progress and if you have any further questions in the future, ask away and we will try to help
Thank you Simon, I sure will.
Has anyone seen these?
I am going to enlarge these to HO.
Fifi
🐈, 🐅🐱

· Registered
267 Posts
QUOTE (SimonBoulton @ 6 Oct 2017, 10:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's the ones John, the Rivarossi Spree Alpen Express set were the ones I saw. I think the Type B was only done in 1:100 length before.

Simon

Simon - I also noted that Roco had previously made the Spree Alpen Express set here http://www.roco.cc/en/product/225212-64148...3/products.html

The set length is ~the same as the Rivarossi set https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/brands/ri...express-dr.html

However the Mitropa coaches have a slightly different livery but are both classed as EpIV - any ideas why would be welcome...
This is an old post but came up on a google search and I can add to the question about the difference between the Roco and Rivarossi Spree Alpen express sets. The Rivarossi one is early epoche IV, the Rev dates are 1969 if I remember correctly whereas the Roco set is late era IV, hence the different colour scheme and with the sleepers having a brown roof, would be 1981 onwards. The green couchette coach is a different type too, a B in the Rivarossi set and a Y/B in the Roco one. I’m pretty sure the sleepers are different types too but I can’t be sure from memory

· Registered
267 Posts
One of the interesting new items this year is the Rivarossi DDm916 DR car carriers, there may have been announced with the Tourist Express sets in mind but they are actually wrong for that train. However, they are useful for some other international trains, one being the D1100, this was a train from Berlin Wannsee to Munich and comprised a DB liegewagen (couchette), 1 or 2 DSG sleepers and four DR car carriers

181 - 196 of 196 Posts