Model Railway Forum banner
121 - 140 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Looking through the new items this year it looks to be quite a good year for modellers of the DR. Gonna be a tough one for the wallet though if I got all the stuff I'd like, BR01, BR64 and BR86 with sound! Nice to see that Piko are going to do a new version of the Ferkeltaxe railcar but why do they always do the Era 3 version first? Surely Era 4 would be more popular.

·
What do I put here!?!
883 Posts
Hi Simon,
I fully empathise with you on Piko and other makers always appearing to do EpIII first - I guess that the same as in the UK, this period is the one that appeals to the larger sector of the population, those who lived through the fifties and sixties and did their train watching then.
Fortunately, the European makers usually seem to follow through with EpIV and later quite quickly and even EpVI is well catered for. I follow EpIV because it's the most interesting to me and EpVI because it's what I actually know (plus EpI because that's really fascinating!).
Like yourself, I drool over a BR64 and especially the BR86 with sound but I don't know if I will be able to get one, sigh!
Cheers,
John.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi John,
Thanks for your reply. I did wonder of they do it to get Era IV modellers like myself who can't wait to buy both versions!

You are right, they will probably do the era IV version next year. Is an interesting point about Era III being more popular than Era IV, I'd always thought it was the other way round. Hope you manage to find the funds to get the BR64
Best wishes,
Simon

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** UK railways were somewhat slow in transitions. I wonder - How quickly did European railways change liveries etc in comparison / how tight are the era cutoffs?

regards, Richard.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi Richard, that’s a good question and one I’m not totally sure about but looking at pics, it would appear they were fairly quick at getting the loco renumbering done and that was the main difference between the two. Certainly some of the earlier colour schemes carried on for quite a while,
Best wishes,
Simon

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Oh Richard what a deviously mischievous question to ask ..........

The simple answer is:

• Both East & West Germany used the same numbering system and liveries in Era 3.
  • Era 4 began with the adoption of the computer numbering system which comprised the class nummber - unique running number - single computer check number.
  • In the West steam class numbers had a nought added on the front (example a class 52 became 052)
  • In the East steam engines retained their two digit class numbers but variations in the class, i.e. pulverised coal or oil burners wuld be given a different set of running numbers. I think that somewhere on this thread I have documented the complex numbering variations of the 01 class.
  • Era 4 electrics in the West were given Class numbers in the 100 series, mainline diesels in the 200's whilst shunting diesels were listed in the 300 series.
  • Oh, nearly forgot, in the West up to the middle 1980's larger shunting diesels were included in the 200 series so there is an Era 4 exception.
  • In the East, all diesels were in the 100 series whilst electrics were in the 200 series.
  • Era 5 sort of coincides with the wall coming down in late 1989 but livery changes (from turquoise and cream to new red or Neu Rot could be seen from 1988). At least I took a photo of a Class 110 in Karlsruhe newly outshopped in red in Summer 88.
  • East German liveries didn't change much until 1993 when the full merger between DB and DR was completed ............ though the West system of numbering started to be phased in by about 1991 (I think).
  • Era 4 livery changes in the East were mainly applied to coaching stock, for instance the allover green coaches of Era 3 and 1970's Era 4 gradually changed to a green and cream livery in the 1980's

As you can imagine there are so many variations and exceptions to the above, like the red and cream Class 218's used on the Munchen <> Hof services in Era 4 and, mentioning Class 218's I am reminded that the allover Era 3 red livery applied to West diesels lasted well into the 1980's (as did many other DB diesel classes).

Here are some anomalies:

DR Ferkeltaxis stabled withdrawn in Erfut, 2002 showing their original DR livery plus the adopted DBAG Nahverkher livery.

DB shunting engine in Ulm, Easter 2006. This has been outshopped in Era 3 livery but has been modified with the auto-coupling so carries a 364 Era 5 number (formally 360-533-4 in later Era 4 and before that 260-533-5 and in Era 3 it was of course a V60)

DR former Era 3 Class V100, Era 4 Class 112 but now, 1992 in Halberstadt, still DR livery (in fact still a separate DR not yet merged with DB) but now with Era 5 Class 202 numbering.

Smell that steam heat.

I wonder how long my photos on Flickr will survive.

Best regards ................. Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks for the excellent response John. I'd forgotten about the transition from DR to DBAG. Was a very interesting time for colour schemes. A number of models have been produced in the past still with DR markings but the later new number. They seem to come up for sale second hand quite often too, probably because of the limited time frame.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
I have taken advantage of the lower prices asked for DR/DBAG transition locos and to be able to use them found a supply of DR EP IV number transfers. I successfully re-numbered a couple of locos.

I suppose here I should supply details of the supplier of the transfers but just at this minute I have forgotten where I put the transfer sheets and cannot recollect the name of the manufacturer. I know that I sourced them from Germany so that narrows it down !!!!!!!

I will investigate.

Best regards ............... Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Registered
254 Posts
John,
I should have a look too as I have some transfers for renumbering some of the BR 110 family. I think the website had TT in the title even though they do decals in several scales. That's a good tip as the transition era loco's are indeed often cheaper but for fellow readers, I'd point out the need to be careful with the colour scheme as some had a repaint but retained the DR symbol.
Best wishes,
Simon

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Yes Simon it pays to do a bit of research.

Here is another example of the transition period, this time Dresden Neustadt with a Class 232 and 228 (formerly 132 and 118). I think this is in 1991.

Towards the latter end of EPOCH IV some repainted locomotives were turned out as "sparlackierung" or paint saving locos; basically not painting the cream band at the bottom of the body although there are variations to that. A good place to check this out is Modelbahn Wiki Class 119 and then on to browse other classes such as DR Class 118.

With Class 110 coathangers (as pictured in my earlier post) you have the added complication of class variations and some painted yellow for engineering purposes. It can be a nightmare to get it right but careful research pays dividends. I struggle with under-frame and bogie colours .......... when did DR adopt grey instead of red and for which classes? Backdating a Class 219 to 119 but retaining an EPOCH V underframe may look good but it may not be correct.

Best regards ................... Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Registered
254 Posts
As often seems to happen, I got sidetracked yesterday and ended up looking at the Governemt train of the DDR, there have been a number of models for the allocated BR118 diesels and the coaches. Tillig are producing a new scale length version and Roco are due to do two of the loco's again.
Doing a bit of a search, there don't seem to be many pics of the train in action, probably for obvious reasons that security would have been tight. One interesting pic I did find was of the train on a trip to West Germany in 1970 to meet Willy Brandt. The train was hauled to Kessel by two BR118's, although they were still numbered V 180 in the picture.

So this has made me wonder, were the loco's ever used on ordinary trains and was the Government train always double headed?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I managed to answer my own questions a bit and found out some more info. Originally there were three BR118 loco’s allocated to Government train duties. They had additional radio equipment and fuel capacity. They were mainly used in pairs for prestige and security reasons. The loco’s were also used on other special trains like troop transport and trips for children. They were also used as replacement locomotives.

They were renumbered in 1981 with the zero being replaced by a 5 so 118 048 became 118 548 for example. This is the variant Gutzold and Piko have done in the past and to be produced by Roco.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Ya'll,

when I worked for the Deutsche Reichsbahn, the former eastern german state railway than the first of what I learned was the railway men needed to greet other railway personal staff like on military duty to higher rank soldiers of sergeant and up.
Specially when wearing any kind of railway workwear or uniform in addition with a railway uniform cap.

All I learned about western german locomotive numbering I could forget, the DR used their own. The differences are not as big as expected by first lesson of becoming a railway man.

Numbers of Locomotives:
Western Germany (DB) / Eastern Germany (DR)
Steam Lokomotives DB --> 0 followed by Class BR No.
Steam Locomotives DR --> Class BR No. only
Electric Engines DB --> 1 in beginning
Electric Engines DR --> 2 in beginning
Diesel Engines DB --> 2 in beginning
Diesel Engines DR --> 1 in beginning

In epoch 5b after german re-union until end of January 1993 the finishing date of the eastern german DR, the DR started the big re-numbering programme that all reviewed locos or railcars will have the western standards of the DB.
Epoch 5a identified the former DB authority until end of January 1993.
Epoch 5c marked the beginning of the state stock holders DB AG Company on February 1rst of 1993.
The epoch 6 begun in 2006 with the new colour scheme of the DB AG up to the present in traffic red.

The backshops of the DR were advance to use the new western german colouring in epoch 5b.

The DR used Steam Engines in their last three years of existing, their final date was allready known shoertly after the re-union of both german states.

The DR Backshops scrapped thousands of older Locomotives which could not fullfill the western standards. So some needed locomotives got replaced by steam locomotives again. 1rst of February 1993 was their absolutly final date of duty.
Hundreds of pre-served and ready to rum steam locomotives had been scrapped, because the new managers of the DB AG showed no interest of pre-serving them.
Around Halle/Saale had been existed more of ten bigger roundhouses fullfilled of steam locos, all were gone and scrapped and the railway buildings deconstructed and sold.

I visited lately, a few months ago, the area where I worked for the DR and was shocked. The old Backshop looked like destroyed houses in ww II.
Some areas are overgrown by weed the building in ruins. Some of the roundhouses are empty and in ruins. Rails had been removed the last vehicles there overgrown with weed and in too badly condition.
I asked myself why the DB AG is not interested in their own railway history?
Why do they make lot of trouble when private clubs want to run a steam engine?
There had been created a rule, that after live steam events, the railway club shall pay for cleaning the windows of station canopies after the steam engine stopped in this station. For what? Some station canopies have brown colour windows with all the dust of the last 50 years.

There were some colours inside the railway uniforms like on caps, shoulder ranks and trousers and uniform jackets:
Light blue --> roundhouse (BW) crews and Backshop RAW) crews, transportation police and interlocking crews
Green --> baggage service
Yellow --> signal and maintenance crews
Red --> Railway Administration and Conductors
White/Grey --> political officers of StaSi

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was looking at the EK special about Mitropa the other day and noticed something that I'd not seen before on the corridor connectors. One distinctive feature of the DR Reko and new build coaches are the big rubber tubes used as corridor connectors. The pictures in the magazine appeared to show that these were added to the old prewar sleeper and dining cars so that they could be connected to the new coaches. I'd not seen this before and would probably fairly easy to scratchbuild.

·
Registered
254 Posts
QUOTE (Greyvoices @ 22 Oct 2014, 09:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a very comprehensive collection of DR locomotives but the glaring omission is the Class 41 RekoLok.

For years the only model available was the Piko version which was badly specified and utilised plastic side motion. Uuuuurgh. I think that the Piko model has been updated but I've never checked it out partly because I developed a dismissive attitude towards Piko steam models.

It surprised me that a detailed and well specified model was not produced by one of the other manufacturers especially as 41 1150, as we can see from your photograph 6991, is such a handsome locomotive. That said ......... perhaps I have failed to spot a release of a decent Class 41 (hopefully).

Best regards ...................... Greyvoices (alias John)

Really old post this but at some point Fleischmann produced a very nice Reko version of the BR41. I believe they are as rare as hens teeth these days though

121 - 140 of 185 Posts