Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to build a small EM gauge layout and am thinking about what coupling system to use for the rolling stock etc. On my existing OO gauge layout, I have used the Sprat & Winkle system, and it has proved reliable, although I'm not too keen on the large size of the coupling hooks and the need for a wire across the buffers. Has anybody any experience of using the DGE system (available from Wizard Models)? If so, I would be grateful for observations on its reliability and how obtrusive it is. Pictures of locos/ rolling stock, with DGE couplings installed, would be particularly welcome.

I guess that some people will suggest the Alex Jackson system, which has a lot to commend it, but, with my advanced years, worsening modelling skills and the desire to get the layout up and running, before my remaining skills finally desert me, I am reluctant to go down this route, unless no suitable, unobtrusive solution presents itself.

Thanks, in advance, for any observations members of this forum can offer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for your comments, 34C. I must admit that I have never heard of Dingham type couplings, but, having looked at their website, they do look promising.

I am not, necessarily, wedded to a kit based coupling, but I am looking for something that is as unobtrusive as possible and would not look 'out of place' on British steam era locos and rolling stock. I also want something which has reasonable reliability. If there is anything on the market, which meets these criteria, and comes ready assembled, I would be interested. I hope to spend a fair bit of time and effort producing models which are as close to prototype as possible and I do not want to spoil the effect by using any of the 'standard' couplings available from the major manufacturers. I might, in the end, opt to go for 'scale' screw, instanter and 3 link couplings, with manual coupling and uncoupling, but automatic coupling would be preferable.

Thanks again for your suggestions - much appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks, Mr Ladd. Some interesting food for thought in the Hornby couplings section. I'm tempted to give the Dingham couplings a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I promise to let you know how I get on, in due course. I've already identified a few wagons that should be easy to convert to EM and then have the Dinghsm couplings fitted.
I'll add a few photos, if I can work out how to do it!!

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts