Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is sometime since my running the older locomotives in my collection - finding that the controller's settings are much higher while running the older Fleischmann "Greyhound" Warship model. With this model the controllers setting is double that of Bachmann's new 108 DMU.
Perhaps reason is that the Fleischmann Warship is not fitted with "flywheels" and motor in this model being a "Pancake", which incidentally Fleischmann to this day use the "Pancake" motor i.e. the 614 three coach DMU.
It is a fact, that model locomotives "Steam" or "diesel" that are stored for long periods, should be occasionally be brought out and run for at least thirty minutes.
Perhaps other forum readers may wish to comment on this topic

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Older models draw more power due to less efficient motors and more friction and therefore for a given speed the control knob would be on a higher setting for an older model.

This has a big impact on how many locos you can have running at the same time DCC wise as per 1amp of power you can probably run no more than 2 old locos but maybe up to 4 new ones.

With DC this does not really matter as each loco has its own source of power and control so there is always plenty of juice for individual locos remembering that you are only ever running one per 1amp of power.

Not sure what the impact of flywheels might be on power draw however I would guess that to get the flywheels turning and accelerating would require more power and once they are turning at a constant speed you would require less power as a result of their natural momentum.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Well, my fleet, which is a mixture of Fleischmann, Roco, Rivarossi, Lima and er Playcraft, have an assortment of motors, would seem to behave diferently to yours.

For example I have 3 Fleischmann Warships which all behave differently, one is high mileage the other two have been barely run, yet the older one seems to take less power, is it because it has been well and truly run in?

The majority of my locos have pancake motors and I have had little problem with any of them. for test running I use a Fleischmann Trafo controller which seems to be kinder to the mechs.

That should confuse the issue!

Regards

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (double00 @ 30 Apr 2007, 09:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is sometime since my running the older locomotives in my collection - finding that the controller's settings are much higher while running the older Fleischmann "Greyhound" Warship model. With this model the controllers setting is double that of Bachmann's new 108 DMU.
Perhaps reason is that the Fleischmann Warship is not fitted with "flywheels" and motor in this model being a "Pancake", which incidentally Fleischmann to this day use the "Pancake" motor i.e. the 614 three coach DMU.
It is a fact, that model locomotives "Steam" or "diesel" that are stored for long periods, should be occasionally be brought out and run for at least thirty minutes.
Perhaps other forum readers may wish to comment on this topic

The type of controller you are using could have an influence. For example the H & M Duette is a resistance mat controllers (as are many early Hornby ones) & you will need a far higher setting to start off any model with a higher current draw. A "variable transformer" type controller (such as the one BRITHO uses) will need less.

Motors & m3chamisms can dry out if stored, but basically its just the way motors & controllers react together. Unless you get a real mismatch it's nothing to woory about.

If you go down the DCC route with decent kit you can almost "tune out" the differences between otherwise identical models.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for interesting reading of old motors as to new types of motors now fitted in modern models.
I use the Gaugemasters 100 12 volt power controller rated at 3 amps. The likes of the Fleischman Warships apparently draw a considerable amount of power consumption - as shows the Gaugemaster 100 to heat up considerably while running the older models and remains cool with the Bachmann 108 DMU.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts