Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have just started out with model railway.
Could someone advise me re the best controller around £100
Eqipment at moment consists of 3 ovals and a shunting yard running 3 engines.
Thank you.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've found the Dynamis pretty good and simple to use. I know it is a little basic but can be upgraded with the Pro, when it comes out!

Regards Baz

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear All,

I just looked at the DCC Systems chart and noticed the MX31ZL is missing. Here is the basic data in the same order as on this chart :-

5 additional cabs (can be expanded to 30 if attached to the MX1)
10239 Max number of loco addresses
2 and 4 digit addresses
Yes Consists
Slider and Wheel speed control
4 amp current
Yes Optional Power Boosters
20 Functions
Yes Sound decoder support
Yes Walk around cab
Yes Wireless (EU only)
Yes Accessory decoder support
Yes Routing
Yes Computer Control (USB bulit-in)
CAN Bus for Comms Bus
270 GBP for RRP (400 euros)
2 year warranty

Let me know if you need any more. Here are some links :-

Zimo Website
MX31ZL description
MX31ZL User Manual

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Hi

The list also misses the set which is to me the current "best of the start Sets" the NCE PowerCab - It has none of the shortcomings of other start sets amd it is also right on your budget.

It is easily upgradeable to the higher power handling of the full PowerHouse Pro system and it has all of the operating features of the full system too. So...as a Start set, its very "no compromises" - and has more than enough power to meet your stated operating needs.

Regards

PS: Doug - there are also some errors on the System listing

(1) for the NCE Powerhouse Pro -

a / it has "rotary + buttons" for control
c / it has integrated computer interface (no black box needed) .
d / Also, you say NO to routing but that is not correct - it has a huge "Macro" storage so can definately handle routing and any other complex set of commands as a built-in featurl.
e / It has 28 functions not 13 as stated
f / It is available in 5 and ten amp versions
g / it has several consist modes including advanced consists as do several other brands, whereas brands such as ZTC and hornby etc have only limited or old style consisting.

There are BIG differences in this area so it really does need expansion and differentiation. Perhaps a new row?

also of note and it should be mentioned.

(2) There should definately be a row for "can read CV's". This is a critical feature for anyone who want to gain benefit from sound or loco tuning abilities.

(3) There should be a row for "separate programming track". Also an important issue.

(4) The MRC/Gaugemaster has lots of functions but ONLY the latest version is actually able to control the higher functions properly as MRC made wrong use of the spec for all higher functions and so they not NMRA compatible except for the NEW version which is called Prodigy advance squared.... Others can I believe be upgraded at a cost ($USD50 in the USA - not sure for UK)

(3) I really think there should be a warning on the Hornby Select that it is an adequate trainset controller when used wit hHornby chips but it is NOT strictly a DCC system "as released" as it cannot reliably control several decoder brands and wrongly implements some important NMRA specifications.

(4) I think a row for "console or walk around" should be added. Most will end up with only ONE system controller, so this is an issue.

I appreciate its hard to keep up with charts like this, and I must admit worry that users read and judge based on them when they can never really tell the story properly.... Especially when systems upgrade software ability more and more frequently ...However, hopefully the above will at least correct some issues.

Regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replys, cant quite decide between the Power cab or the Dynamis.

One question if i may, as the dynamis is infra red, will it be compatible with a large plasma infra red TV. This TV causes problems with any other infra red equipment i have, If it interferes with the TV i will be in the dog house.lol
Thank you.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (crudnut @ 4 Mar 2008, 08:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thank you for the replys, cant quite decide between the Power cab or the Dynamis.

One question if i may, as the dynamis is infra red, will it be compatible with a large plasma infra red TV. This TV causes problems with any other infra red equipment i have, If it interferes with the TV i will be in the dog house.lol
Thank you.

Go for the PowerCab - it has a more refined control plus ability to read back CV's which is more important than you think - and a wider function and control ability too.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 4 Mar 2008, 03:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Go for the PowerCab - it has a more refined control plus ability to read back CV's which is more important than you think - and a wider function and control ability too.

Richard
DCCconcepts
Thank you Richard, i did get the PowerCab and everything is fine. Found the gentleman at Digitrains very helpful.
regards,
crudnut

1 - 9 of 9 Posts