Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

We have a layout that is going to be run as a work in progress at an exhibition next saturday.

The main control will be via ECOS that will run the front of the layout as one power district, we have a 4A ecosboost that will run half of a 14 road fiddle yard as another power district and intended to run the other half of the fiddle yard using a digitrax dcs100 set to work as booster only as the third power district .

I Have found the way to set the dcs100 as booster only but cannot find any information on how to wire it to the ecos as an external booster.

Help !!!!

Cheers

Mark

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (markw @ 14 Jun 2008, 22:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Guys

We have a layout that is going to be run as a work in progress at an exhibition next saturday.

The main control will be via ECOS that will run the front of the layout as one power district, we have a 4A ecosboost that will run half of a 14 road fiddle yard as another power district and intended to run the other half of the fiddle yard using a digitrax dcs100 set to work as booster only as the third power district .

I Have found the way to set the dcs100 as booster only but cannot find any information on how to wire it to the ecos as an external booster.

Help !!!!

Cheers

Mark

***Mark. Three things. (apart from best wishes for a successful first exhibition for the layout)

(1) make sure each booster has its own transformer - boosters should not share the same power supply

(2) Be aware that the output voltage of ECOS and ECOS boosters is very high compared to Digitrax - the ECOS is well over 16 volts, the digitrax much lower (depends on setting of the "O/HO/N scale switch"). Personally I tink you'd be better off using a lenz booster if U can get one as it too has overly high rail voltages just like the ECOS.

If you do just connect Lenz c, d and e to Ecos 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

(3) only the data and ground terminals of the digitrax booster get connected, so there will be no reporting of short circuits to the command station available.

Here are digitrax wiring instructions for connecting to another brand.

1) Connect the track to the "Rail A/Rail B" terminals. Note: Each separate track section powered by it's own booster should be double gapped at both ends, this goes for regular layout sections as well as reverse loops.

2) Connect the "SYNC" & "GROUND" terminals together with a piece of wire. This configures the DB150/100/200 as a booster rather than a command station.

3) Plug an RJ11 cord into either LOCONET "A" or "B" port on the digi product.

4) If you are using more than one booster, determine which wire is on "Pin 1" by looking into the end of the connector and noting the color of the wire on the far left side. This is wire #1. Wire #6 is the wire on the far right side of the connector. See the plug detail diagram. If you are only using one digitrax booster in your application, you can skip this step.

5) Cut & strip one end of the phone cord & connect wires #1 & #6 to the ECOS terminals marked "1" & "2". If you are only using one booster it does not really matter which wire you connect to which terminal. If you are using more than one booster however, all pin 1's must be connected to the same C or D terminal and all pin 6's must be connected to the other.

6) DO NOT connect ANY of the other 4 wires on the phone cord, cut these off and insulate them so that they do not touch each other.

7) Set the "MODE" switch on the DB150/100/200 to "P/R."

8) Connect the transformer to the "POWER IN" terminals on the booster. Be sure you have correctly made all the connections described above before switching on power to the booster. At initial power on, Digitrax boosters configure themselves automatically according to the various switch settings and whether or not the GROUND & SYNC terminals are shorted together.

Regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Richard

Thanks for the response, unfortunately it's a dcs100 command station configured to run as a booster that i'm trying to connect. It doesn't have sync and ground terminals.

I have followed the instructions on the digitrax web site for changing the dcs100 to booster only as per http://www.digitrax.com/kb/index.php?a=843

Then based upon this appnote, http://www.digitrax.com/appnote_6027.php I think you have to use the blue and white wires from a loconet cable and connect them to the data and ground on the ecos as you point out not using the shortcircuit feedback connection.

The DCS100 or ecos dont complain when it's all powered on but there is no track power from the dcs100 and the track status light remains extinguished.

Any further ideas, i don't want to experiment too wildly in fear of damaging either system.

Thanks

Mark

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (markw @ 14 Jun 2008, 23:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Richard

Thanks for the response, unfortunately it's a dcs100 command station configured to run as a booster that i'm trying to connect. It doesn't have sync and ground terminals.

I have followed the instructions on the digitrax web site for changing the dcs100 to booster only as per http://www.digitrax.com/kb/index.php?a=843

Then based upon this appnote, http://www.digitrax.com/appnote_6027.php I think you have to use the blue and white wires from a loconet cable and connect them to the data and ground on the ecos as you point out not using the shortcircuit feedback connection.

The DCS100 or ecos dont complain when it's all powered on but there is no track power from the dcs100 and the track status light remains extinguished.

Any further ideas, i don't want to experiment too wildly in fear of damaging either system.

Thanks

Mark

*** Actually the connections between ECOS and Digitrax are all the same whether its a DCS or a DB

Yes its the blue and white or 1 and 6 no matter which digitrax product it is. for the DCS instead of the DB's wire connection you have only the 3 switches to configure 2 to C, 3 to T, 5 to T

So - if you've set these right and used the right wires to ECOS then its something else....

Is the boosters power supply on OK? are the power connections OK
Is the cable crimped OK? - bad connections do happen.
is the DCS actually turning on??? You should set the switch to run before powering up.
You could test it is happy as a booster as U have set it by connecting it to another digitrax system as if it was a booster.

Sorry, apart from that I've not much more to offer

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 14 Jun 2008, 16:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>*** Actually the connections between ECOS and Digitrax are all the same whether its a DCS or a DB

Yes its the blue and white or 1 and 6 no matter which digitrax product it is. for the DCS instead of the DB's wire connection you have only the 3 switches to configure 2 to C, 3 to T, 5 to T

So - if you've set these right and used the right wires to ECOS then its something else....

Is the boosters power supply on OK? are the power connections OK
Is the cable crimped OK? - bad connections do happen.
is the DCS actually turning on??? You should set the switch to run before powering up.
You could test it is happy as a booster as U have set it by connecting it to another digitrax system as if it was a booster.

Sorry, apart from that I've not much more to offer

Richard
DCCconcepts

Thanks

I've just reconfigured the dcs to run as a standalone command station and all works OK. So i don't think it's a wiring problem. I Think it may be to do with this link business with sync and ground. I found another article that mentions linking conf a and conf b both to ground. Could they mean prog a and prog b i wonder

·
Destroyer of Penguins
1,415 Posts
Hi

Did you ever get this to work?

I just tried it and although I can turn the power on and off from the ECOS, the loco control is like operating Voyager 2. It takes a minute or so before the loco reacts to ECOS commands which is unworkable.
I do not have a scope or sniffer for dcc so what is happening I cannot tell.

Regards

Kal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts