Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have just obtained a Bachmann N class with a bent running plate. I messaged Bachmann about it, and they have sent me a replacement running plate for FREE! (Old fashioned service, you can't beat it). I am rather concerned as I have never taken a Bachmann loco completely apart. I am particularly concerned by the sprung buffers, as I haven't had to move them at all before. Anyone got any advice for a novice fixer and professional idiot?

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
A firm supporting grip of the components and small wiggles, would be my summary of the usual technique to break small components like buffers free of the bufferbeam. Using a small blade, scrape off any visible adhesive before starting. The adhesive Bachmann use is pretty brittle, and usually parts cleanly with a snap.

But isn't the bufferbeam integral to the running plate in this model, and thus to be discarded? In which case you can cut into the bufferbeam around the buffer, and break it away piecemeal.

Make sure the major parts are an easy fit and go fully 'home' before committing to the reassembly. The one 'not quite right' body I have had from Bachmann was an A1 with a slightly curved (cast metal) running plate. Cause was a tiny piece of flash on the casting which made the plastic firebox side tight to the casting, and led to the slight deformation. Easily rectified with a wipe of a file once disassembled.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. As the old running plate is bent so badly, I considered chopping it to ribbons to release the various items, rather than risking breaking tabs off. One set of steps has already had a whack, so may need replacing. All in all, it should keep me quiet for five minutes!

·
Registered
75 Posts
The buffers come off the old buffer beam with a jiggle...I've just finished the same operation...it was a bit fiddly..good luck
Phil :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts