Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a loco fitted with the Lenz 0511a decoder which has ditch lights, can any of you help as to what CV is used to change them to alternate flashing if this is possible with this particular decoder as on the Lenz site no mention of the CV is made for this function.

Many thanks.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 9 Sep 2008, 07:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi All,

I have a loco fitted with the Lenz 0511a decoder which has ditch lights, can any of you help as to what CV is used to change them to alternate flashing if this is possible with this particular decoder as on the Lenz site no mention of the CV is made for this function.

Many thanks.

***Sorry Nick, but the 511a cannot do what you want.... there is no ability within the 511 to set up alternate flashing ditch lights in this decoder.

You really also need a 4 fn decoder at least if you want headlights + ditch lights.... I don't know any exceptions t the fact that day or night, lights are always on when ditch lights are operating so it'd be wrong without both

If you want to use what are primarily US based lighting functions, its best to stick to US made decoders - EU Mfrs sometimes do them ok, but often get them less than right (ie, most EU made decoders make rule 27 dimming only automaic, but more serious US modellers prefer to use it manually... the same applies to ditch light setup, it needs to be comrehensive in ability to be useful if prototypical use is intended)

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 9 Sep 2008, 05:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Sorry Nick, but the 511a cannot do what you want.... there is no ability within the 511 to set up alternate flashing ditch lights in this decoder.

You really also need a 4 fn decoder at least if you want headlights + ditch lights.... I don't know any exceptions t the fact that day or night, lights are always on when ditch lights are operating so it'd be wrong without both

If you want to use what are primarily US based lighting functions, its best to stick to US made decoders - EU Mfrs sometimes do them ok, but often get them less than right (ie, most EU made decoders make rule 27 dimming only automaic, but more serious US modellers prefer to use it manually... the same applies to ditch light setup, it needs to be comrehensive in ability to be useful if prototypical use is intended)

Richard

Thank you Kain/Richard,

I have the lights on permanenet on the ditch lights looks like a new decoder or live with it then i thought this may be the case, i'll open the loco up and see what its like inside for space, i would presume a TCS decoder 4 Fn would be good choice to go for Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts