Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on my BR std 4 2-6-0 and I thought I would share it. It's an easy kit to build compared to a Garrett but it appears to bit a bit on the old side as the detail parts supplied like the injectors and clack valves are whitemetal castings instead of lost wax brass castings which would be infinetly superior. DJH who does all the loco kits for the Australian Footplate models range supplies lost wax brass castings with all these kits but not so much with their English kits which is a pity as the white metal castings are a little on the fragile side. No buffers have been fitted yet as the brass replacements haven't arrived.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Footplate are all made by DJH and yes on nearly all the English locos I've built the valve gear has to be assembled. The Footplate models come with assembled valve gear.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 22 Feb 2007, 15:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That looks good Ozzie. So footplate models are made by DJH? Thats worth knowing as their Garratts a lot cheaper than the DJH one.

Do you have to put all the valve gear together?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope it's next door's through the door of the train shed.
Ozzie21

QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 22 Feb 2007, 18:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ozzie

Is that your back garden on the first picture or just a very nice backdrop?

Pete

O and the st4 looks good

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes priming and painting are next on the agenda after I sort out the pickups and the buffers.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Doug @ 22 Feb 2007, 18:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks good.

What next? Prime & paint. I'd like to see how you go about that.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Yes the canterlevered footplate looks odd from any angle. I actually think it looks worse on the 9F than any of the others.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 22 Feb 2007, 20:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking good ozzie.

I never think the footplate looks quite right on models of BR standard loco's but then i look at pictures and realise that it dosent look right on the real thing either!

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
"nearly all the English locos I've built the valve gear has to be assembled. The Footplate models come with assembled valve gear."

I wonder if that sais something about brittish kits or australian modellers??

Honesetly though, in the old days of real copper rivits the valvegear was a nightmare but in this day and age with the aluminium valvegear rivits its really not that difficult to do. just a quick tap with a centre punch and another with a small hammer and its done. (OK not quite that easy, but its not difficult)

Yes i agree it does look worse on the 9F.

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 22 Feb 2007, 09:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I never think the footplate looks quite right on models of BR standard loco's but then i look at pictures and realise that it dosent look right on the real thing either!

That thought crossed my mind as well, but it does seem to be consistent throughout the BR standard Range.

Regards

John

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
QUOTE What next? Prime & paint. I'd like to see how you go about that.

I've got the same question as Doug, does that mean stripping it all down to paint it ? because it looks like the motion is soldered in place ?.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it is. But I paint that seperately as the chassis is already done. The wheels will be brush painted with a sable brush. The body work will be primed with an epoxy primer and finished in several light coats of Humbrol coal black and sealed with a gloss clear coat. The the decals and lining will be put on and sealed with a satin clear coat or two. Then if I pluck up the courage I'll weather it.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 23 Feb 2007, 04:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've got the same question as Doug, does that mean stripping it all down to paint it ? because it looks like the motion is soldered in place ?.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have but I haven't got around to ordering one yet. I have another couple of locos on order so when they arrive I'll order a couple or three.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (mack @ 26 Feb 2007, 23:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have you thought about adding a Comet detailing kit to the model,it definetly improves it a lot

·
Registered
26 Posts
QUOTE (mack @ 26 Feb 2007, 15:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have you thought about adding a Comet detailing kit to the model,it definetly improves it a lot
I certainly think that using Comet valve gear instead of the DJH stuff is a big improvement

1 - 16 of 16 Posts