Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
QUOTE (cookiechem @ 29 Mar 2008, 14:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am about to start work on a 6' x 4' baseboard for my son's birthday gift of a model railway. In order to solve the storage issues, this will be split into two 3' x 4' sections connected by sturdy hinges. With the sections being quite small at 3' x 4', is it necessary to brace the bases?

I plan on using 12mm MDF as the base. I have used this in the past to construct wargames boards and found it to be very stable and resistant to warping and deformation. The advantages of avoiding bracing is that is keeps the width of the board to a minimum (storage space is a premium) and keeps the weight down. In terms of the weight, I guess I could compromise and use a lighter board with bracing.

Any help is much appreciated.

I would say bracing is required as with variable weight and folding and unfolding, I would think some bracing (using 50mm X 20 mm planed softwood on the edges and one diagional would stop any warping (just in case). You could then uses a 6mm mdf (although I also dislike mdf it is a good smooth surface but make sure you waer a mask when cutting or sanding it).

Have fun

Basil

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, can't agree more fully. A full respirator mask (I have one) is a necessity. Take any and all precautions.

Have fun (safely)

regards

Basil

QUOTE (poliss @ 29 Mar 2008, 20:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A nuisance dust mask is no good for cutting any kind of wood. Use a proper respirator mask. Read the safety label for suitable masks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.