Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start work on a 6' x 4' baseboard for my son's birthday gift of a model railway. In order to solve the storage issues, this will be split into two 3' x 4' sections connected by sturdy hinges. With the sections being quite small at 3' x 4', is it necessary to brace the bases?

I plan on using 12mm MDF as the base. I have used this in the past to construct wargames boards and found it to be very stable and resistant to warping and deformation. The advantages of avoiding bracing is that is keeps the width of the board to a minimum (storage space is a premium) and keeps the weight down. In terms of the weight, I guess I could compromise and use a lighter board with bracing.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After some further thought and planning, it may be more sensible to split the baseboard into two 2' x 6' sections. This would mean cutting fewer pieces of track and also keeping cuts well away from any points. I think that 2 pieces this long probably would need bracing, but I'd still like to avoid it if I could.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.