Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
running a hornby select on 00 gauge with normal power transformer and my train (only one loco running) is stopping and starting. cleaned all the track and it seems to be doing it on the track that is far away from the power input.

My track is quite big, do i need more power or will it be the loco?
any ideas welcome

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
No, it will be loose fishplates giving bad electrical contact, Check fishplates and consider using extra electrical feeds around the track.

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE (Matt1984 @ 21 May 2008, 20:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>running a hornby select on 00 gauge with normal power transformer and my train (only one loco running) is stopping and starting. cleaned all the track and it seems to be doing it on the track that is far away from the power input.

My track is quite big, do i need more power or will it be the loco?
any ideas welcome
I argee with poliss More power is not the answer.
Clean the locos wheels as well as the rails and as suggested check the rail joiners are all tight onto the sides of the rails at both ends of each joiner. Use a pair of long nosed pliers to "Crimp" or lightly squash up the metal joiner onto the rails bottom sides (foot of the rail).
Consider long term installing a DCC bus around the layout and take feeds off to the rails at least every 36 inches of track or wherever they are needed.
You can never have to many DCC feeds.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts