Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Are some of these stall holders at exhibitions on the same planet as everybody else? At the last exhibiton I went to one was trying to sell what would appear to be 20 year old Hornby coaches in the old blue and white Intercity livery at £8.50 each. However, they were battered, windows cracked and a few coloured on with childs crayons. Even if you were to buy them to repaint, the damage and cracked windows would render them close to useless. They'd be lucky to give them away!

Just checked, you can buy new factory fresh boxed versions of same type of coaches for £15, makes their £8.50 truly ridiculous!

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
QUOTE (Teleman @ 16 Feb 2008, 00:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if its unopened how did they take a picture of the inside of the box ?

Its amazing how many times you see that on Ebay. As I've proved with my traverser thread running at the minute there are bargans to be had, but you do have to be careful as some things can go for MUCH more than they are worth. I still can't get over how many times you see an auction item go for more than the same item can be had from the same seller as a buy it now!

Back on topic..When I see things like that I tend to just smile and walk on. They are probably waiting for the same person who keeps buying things at ten times the RRP on ebay to turn up!!!

Rob

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The cellophane is on the inside of the box. It might be worth £495 in about 100 years or so, but as the models bear no resemblance to the rolling stock in the film, I'd only give you £30 for it.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
My wife fell for the junk in a bag at one of the shows. It consisted of a couple of broken wagons missing the sub frame and some very poorly painted figures. She paid $20.00 for it because she liked the sheep in the bag!

I usually check local hobby shops uk shops and ebay.

I got a bachmann 9f evening star for 65 GBP + postage or I could have purchased it local for about 250.00 GBP. I searched for months to get the best possible deal.

see link

http://hornbyshop.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi...163147257.11031

Someone will pay this price....

People just got to shop around and take your time. Do you really need it now.

m

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 16 Feb 2008, 00:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Back on topic..When I see things like that I tend to just smile and walk on. They are probably waiting for the same person who keeps buying things at ten times the RRP on ebay to turn up!!!
It is like the fish that rests on the sea bed and waits for a tasty morsel to come to it and swim into its open mouth...anyone experienced on ebay at actually winning items wouldn't touch an overpriced buy-it-now item anyway since they could with one click do a search to see if there are in open auction and also the cost of recently finished items, also the google cache can reveal past finish prices. etc. etc.

At an exhibition there is of course no information about past or current market prices available (where those books for used car values would help?) but prices are flexible and you can haggle or get a discount if you buy lots. And you can go to an exhibition with an informed friend/modeller for a second opinion while most people sit alone at a computer to decide on eBay... The value of an item is relative I suspect, if you don't have the internet or don't trust eBay then one must make do with ferretting at such stalls. Toyfairs will presumably be staffed by the less informed in model railways and so prices can be way too high or too low and very good bargains. It all depends, swings and roundabouts, caveat emptor, a stitch in time etc. etc. sorry my cliches have run away with me!

Let the stupid and the lazy waste their money if they wish! They keep many people in employment in our rabid consumer society.

·
Registered
305 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 16 Feb 2008, 00:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its amazing how many times you see that on Ebay. As I've proved with my traverser thread running at the minute there are bargans to be had, but you do have to be careful as some things can go for MUCH more than they are worth. I still can't get over how many times you see an auction item go for more than the same item can be had from the same seller as a buy it now!

Back on topic..When I see things like that I tend to just smile and walk on. They are probably waiting for the same person who keeps buying things at ten times the RRP on ebay to turn up!!!
Rob

Yesterday somebody bid £152 for Roco loco that is still current and had a rrp of £120 or so.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Buying & selling can be really strange. In the past I've been guilty of paying over the odds for an item I have really wanted (for my own personal use - not stock), but I no longer get involved in bidding frenzies.

I've recently sold some stuff on eBay - what I thought would fetch very good money only reached a "disappointing" amount - good purchase for the bidder ! Almost certainly we would have seen more (albeit, over a longer period) on the trade stand.

Horses for course - no one forces you to buy or sell on eBay, likewise on trade stands.

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE (Teleman @ 16 Feb 2008, 00:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>edit note ... if its unopened how did they take a picture of the inside of the box ?
I like the line ' you won't find another' well if they made that many there's a fair chance you will!

I've sold a few things through a mate on ebay, some went for higher and some went cheap, overall it all evened out and I got pretty much what I felt they were worth so I was happy and so were all the buyers.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
We have a crate on the sales stand where we bag up "dustbin fodder" and sell it for a small sum (50p £1.00 etc.). It really is amazing what people will buy. Then again I picked up a couple of wagons at the weekend for silly money(£2.50) from another trader. They were cheap as they were playcraft, but I needed them.

Regards

·
Registered
39 Posts
A recent dit to add to those above, but I was at a recent exhibition where stall holders were trying to flog seriously sub-standard second hand items for way over the odds. Who really wants an ancient Trian 4MT scratched and well used for £30? Ive got one in my "Ill never use it but cant be bothered to even photograph it for eBay sale" box. If folk really do want to spend good money on stuff that should be in the bin then perhaps ill need to photograph the stuff in my box and get it all on eBay right away!

Nowt as queer as folk.......................

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to work in a model shop when Lima had had just come on to the market in serious way (about 1978-9). We had an offer on their wagons, half price or something, would not budge, so we took them out of their boxes, stuck them on a shelf and what do you know?, they all sold in one weekend.
Clive

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Watty @ 21 Feb 2008, 13:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ive got one in my "Ill never use it but cant be bothered to even photograph it for eBay sale" box. If folk really do want to spend good money on stuff that should be in the bin then perhaps ill need to photograph the stuff in my box and get it all on eBay right away!

Several years ago we put a bunble of old plastic kit wagons and odd bits and pieces on Ebay with a joke comment that if it went for over £5.00 we would sen it post free - as far as I recall the lot sold for about £35.00!!

We were totally honest with the description so no-one could say they were mislead.

Go for it Watty - what have you got to lose?

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 21 Feb 2008, 16:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Several years ago we put a bunble of old plastic kit wagons and odd bits and pieces on Ebay with a joke comment that if it went for over £5.00 we would sen it post free - as far as I recall the lot sold for about £35.00!!

We were totally honest with the description so no-one could say they were mislead.
Regards

That's quite correct - in fact part of the description went "we were going to chuck this lot in the bin but then we thought we'd put it on eBay". As it happens the buyers was actually looking for a couple of bits in the sale to complete some projects & even asked for more.

"One man's junk is another man's treasure".

·
Registered
35 Posts
It works both ways, ive picked up athearn locos in their boxes sellers have sold as incomplete because they havent lifted the foam to find the handrails!

paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts