Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My other half has started to audit my collection and makes a fuss when she see's me enter the house with new purchases since she saw how much those little things cost. I now have to sneak them into the house (made easier by modelling N) under my jacket or when she's not looking.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Fortunately my wife is very supportive and will even encourage me NOT to sell a loco or something!
And I do spend far more than most would think is sensible.

A mate at my club on the other hand has a wife that resents any and all about his participation in the hobby. He's starting to refer to her by unsavoury names so I think there will be a parting of the ways. Surely it's better to have a hobby like this than have an affair or something? Maybe it's time to return the favour and audit your wife's expenditure?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
My gf doesn´t care much, and she supports my hobby. Problem is, she is half Austrian, and looooves ÖBB Taurus and Hercules engines, whereas the Swiss genes in my bloodstream just adore a decent Re 6/6...

On grotesque days, we get into "my Re is bigger than your Taurus" games ("but my Hercules is bigger than your Re 4/4''...")

·
Registered
201 Posts
i dont have a missus but i do have a mum who thinks i spend too much on "toys".

N gauge - i have no problems with as it fits in to my pocket
OO guage - deffinately harder but if i leave my tool box or work bag in the car i can get them in that way.

alistair

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (ozwarrior @ 17 Oct 2007, 23:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Surely it's better to have a hobby like this than have an affair or something?
Hmm, it would be easy to do both - how likely is it ones other half will venture down to the local club to make sure that you are in fact 'making scenery' for the exhibition layout and not something else of an evening?!

QUOTE (ME 26-06)My gf doesn´t care much, and she supports my hobby. Problem is, she is half Austrian, and looooves ÖBB Taurus and Hercules engines,
Do tell me where I can get a girlfriend with a problem like that from ME 26-06!!

It is perfect when loved ones support a hobby by letting you get on with it and take a benign interest, after all if I had no separate interests from the family I would be driven quite mad(der), and I drive them mad very certainly. A little slack in the lead and the dog is not fighting to escape...although mentioning all the shoes and the hair-dos should only be used as a last resort unless one finds the icy silence relaxing!

I do in fact hide new purchases, but more from myself as I am in denial about how much I have 'invested' in my hobby. They do say house prices are about to decrease (ha! Perhaps tread water...) in the UK so I have convinced myself that pistons & pantographs are a stronger investment than bricks & mortar!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did have a few items shipped to my Mother's home and was apprehended by my darling with idle gossip between the two of them. She was most upset by me hiding the purchases than by the trains themselves. I have now reformed and I actually have her open my packages. She is now very supportive of my hobby. Can it get better then this?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I must be very, very lucky - my lovely wife encourages me to indulge & take an interest !

However, there are conditions attached which by & large I think are fair enough ;

1) "Don't even think about hiding anything and/or lying about it's cost, because I will find out & you won't like the outcome", so I'm always upfront & honest.
2) "Everytime you buy yourself another locomotive you take me to New Look for a pair of shoes - after all - you need another locomotive like I need another pair of shoes".

And no, I don't put it into stock & then into my collection later.

I think it's a shame that some modellers have to resort to hiding things, as well as the fact that some other half's begrudge the modeller spending money - as long as the bills are paid first !

As a retailer I often have to put a cheaper price label on goods that we sell - pity about the time the modeller pops his clogs & the widow receives only a fraction of the true value of the collection because of the price labels ?

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
My wife and I can be totally up front with each other because we both have the same weekly allowance to spend on what we like without the other arguing about it. The younger of my two sons, who is married, and his wife so much like the idea that they are doing the same.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
It was my wife who got me back into it when we were in a hobby shop about 10 months ago. She saw me admiring the train sets and decided out of the blue to buy me the DCC Western Pullman set.

Well how lucky was I. She still laughs about the second night finding the bed empty at about 3am and finding me with the trains. She likes that if I'm here building loco's wagons track work etc Im not out with my mates have a good time.

Ground rules simple clean up the mess, spend no more than $200 a week and don't stay up all night on ebay.

But I have being known the odd occasion's to de-value the price of a couple of items.

·
Registered
159 Posts
QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 18 Oct 2007, 18:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My wife and I can be totally up front with each other because we both have the same weekly allowance to spend on what we like without the other arguing about it. The younger of my two sons, who is married, and his wife so much like the idea that they are doing the same.

I have the same arrangement with mine. Works out quite well.

Geoff

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
No problems with the other half - I don't have one
- does have some advantages I suppose. Having said that I don't think I would conceal anything, after all a relationship should be built on trust.

Regards

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
My wife enjoys the trains, especially running them, but it took the DCC conversion to reveal this. Little did I know that she would position her exercise bike by the control panel, and run trains during her half hour or so of exercise. A couple of weeks after the DC controllers had gone she asked how the trains ran now. Latest development: she is investigating cordless throttles following the revelation from a colleague that such things are available.

On the spend front, I am with the 'independent budgets' approach if that is feasible.

·
Registered
436 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 19 Oct 2007, 07:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My wife enjoys the trains, especially running them, but it took the DCC conversion to reveal this.

This is really interesting! I have heard before that women like the effects of DCC. Perhaps shows that have a high DCC content should allow women in for free!
All in the interests of promoting marital harmony of course.

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
QUOTE (ozwarrior @ 19 Oct 2007, 04:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is really interesting! I have heard before that women like the effects of DCC. Perhaps shows that have a high DCC content should allow women in for free!
All in the interests of promoting marital harmony of course.

The ability to have continuous lighting was a big hit. The Pullman car train is made up of her purchases as a consequence, and there is some disappointment that the remaining UK passenger rolling stock is unlit, and also that not all the locos have lights. Her money is waiting for a 225 or HST set in GNER livery with full lighting...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi folks,

I have had to sneak stuff in recently such as two Dapol Q's, when the box arrived I prentended nothing then when she was out I swapped the Q1's for two coaches I allready had!, No questions asked vene though she has seen them running she has not clicked yet.

I even sneak it the odd kit I get now and then, Avoids the question, how much was that!!

My dad is 65 and has the same problem as he is into RC aircraft and boy those boxes are big.

cheers

George

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I gave up smoking( I won't say how many) But the better half allows what I save from this as my hobby fund

But I must add that she is very supportive of my hobby and I am very supportive of her shoe collection

All the best.

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 21 Oct 2007, 12:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But I must add that she is very supportive of my hobby and I am very supportive of her shoe collection

All the best.

David

I was not aware that Maggie had a friend in Rugby !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sneaking trains into the house is a piece of cake. Its my R/C planes with two meter wingspan that require days of careful planning.
Sorry guys, but the day your wife starts supporting your hobby expenditure is the day to become suspicious that something is not right !!
Kal

1 - 20 of 30 Posts