Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Some of the problem with today's finely detailed locos is the materials used for some of the small detail parts makes them too fragile to be handled
Indeed I have often wondered if there were grounds to challenge Hornby that many of their models are not fit for purpose. The stupid use of highly brittle plastic originated with Airfix and Hornby seem oblivious to the use of more springy plastics and quite why metal is not used for detail parts that both should be metal and are in an exposed position must only be a penny pinching profit making matter,

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Its not neccessarily a China issue when the design work is undertaken at Margate or Barwell etc. Its more a case of the designer or whoever has the say thereafter specifying the wrong materials and cutting back on sensible design. Take Hornbys new Rocket where aside from stacks of fragile plastic details which really ought to have been metal you have the main driving axle simply resting in a slot, rather than passing through the frames, and held in place by two lumps on the inside of the body which in turn is held in place by a single very thin screw. And then you have the crazy situation of the wires to the tender ending in a soldered joint without any cable grip and a sloppy easy disconnected tender coupling meaning the wires are all too easilly stressed to the point of snapping off the soldered joint. Yes mine is in bits as a result and I am now thinking the solution is to remove the motor from it and have it a one end of a rake of its coaches powered by a Rapido Lion at the other end.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
At least with the Hornby Rocket, you can solder wires back together.
Not when the wire subsequently snaps where it exits the loco. The reason is the loco is limited on space the wires have to be pretty accurate in length as their is no storage space for excess wiring in the loco so if in resoldering a wire is pulled tighter or shortened it is likely to put in excessive stress. IMO what they should have done is the wiring in the loco taken to a micro socket into which the tender wires plugged, although given on mine the factory managed to solder four track pick ups to four pins of the six pin socket quite what a mess they would make of micro connections is another matter.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Wrenn was acquired by David Boyle (Dapol) and some of the plastic wagon bodies dating back to Hornby-Dublo remain in the Dapol range although the 13T steel sided wagon is a replica (the HD tooling having been lost). Wrenn otherwise was sold on to a group acting as a Collectors Club which ceased trading in 2015

1 - 4 of 4 Posts