· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building Wood Urban design House Window

Wood Gas Automotive exterior Road surface Font

Window Font Rectangle Building Roof

Building Window Urban design Wood House

Building Urban design Font Pattern Roof

Despite their blacked-out windows, I've always felt that Pocketbond 'Scenix' buildings have a charm and character of their own. The station buildings (five modules in a set) come in two variations, red brick with brown & cream doors and yellow brick with green & cream doors.
For a long time, I have assumed that the former was meant to represent GWR yet my research seems to suggest that Scenix station buildings are more in line with LSWR/GER standards.
Can anyone please tell me what Pocketbond 'Scenix' actually based their station buildings on?
Thanks

· In depth idiot
8,703 Posts
That red brick colour can be seen from the industrial North West, throughout the Midlands and into the South East: wherever it was the cheapest building material that could be brought to site, which from the mid C19th meant railway transport.

The 'design' exactly as Graham suggests, no distinguishing features. Most railway companies had a 'house style' in architecture which makes them recognisable; these have the look of 'local builder, basic job', with very little in the way of detailing. One thing I would add to the house is a jumble of external foul water plumbing runs. Many such houses began with one internal WC (if you were lucky) and then got 'additional comfort' as standards of living improved.

· Premium Member
6,577 Posts
This looks a bit like the Great Central (pre 1897 London extension) MS&L as it was before, Midland around Manchester as Allport left the MS&L to go to the Midland and the CLC (Cheshire Lines Committee) which was joint with the GCR Midland and Great Northern, also the red brick finish is very like the NORI company (iron spelt backwards) from Accrington and is found all over the north west as 34c rightly says.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts