Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Hi Kristopher It is an interesting topic for me as well. As you know listening to members experiences whether to go with them or not . For me i could go without but the extra storage that two levels can provide is very tempting . Storing complete trains rather than loading and unloading coaches/wagons means less handling of the stock . I am planning on having three points of exit in my shed but only one main one with a swing or lift up board so i do not want two levels crossing that entrance/exit .So my thoughts were too have a terminus storage on the lower level where possibly used for tank engine trains. These trains would more likely be shorter than tendered engine hauled trains with the exception of maybe the 2-8-0 and 2-8-2 types . Alternatively at the terminus having a turntable though this would reduce the length available for the incline it would be nice to have 300mm between the levels though i'm not sure that is doable . I fully intend to do some testing before i commit to a plan . I have a lot of baseboards which hopefully can be reused a couple will be scrapped but enough to allow some testing . I'm thinking of having just one track for both up and down and maybe using DCC Concepts magnets with limited fitted loco's. Thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Hi Kristopher What is the distance between your levels and at a metre wide is it difficult to reach the back should you need to? When you say transition gradients are you saying that they are not as steep as the straight track? Having a single track entry and exit will mean that some trains will have to be reversed on the top level mmm . Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts