Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought Id post a few more recent shots of my layout and locos for you to see:
Hope you like them!

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Thank you for showing your collection of locomotives, apparently your choice is the "steam era".
What is the area size of your layout? I hope to see further pictures of your layout in future months.
Regards, double00.

·
Registered
94 Posts
edzmen, I really like your layout. Where did you get the nice J94/Austerity locos from? And the Headplate on Evening star is nice. Did that come with the loco?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Smart layout, edzmen.
Keep us posted on progress.
Same question as Neil, what method do you use for grass. Supplementary question -- What about the trees?
Best of luck with progress.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys!

The layout uses the same basic track layout and function as the completed Hornby Track Mat, albeit slightly larger in length and width as I've extended the main straights and added an extra outer loop line and station to enable 3 trains to run at once.

With regard to the Hornby J94's I have an 06 release weathered early BR model, a green NCB called 'Whiston' which I bought new in 2000 and my latest edition is the rather nice maroon 'Harry' NCB loco. I purchased this second hand off Ebay about a month ago.

I'm not sure when Hornby released 'Harry' [does anyone here know?], but my loco didn't run at all well at first so I've since fitted a new motor and collectors and cleaned up the wheels and its now become one of my smoothest-running locos!

The NRM headboard came off my NRM edition Flying Scotsman - I just blue-tacked it to 'Evening Star' coz I thought it fitted well.

The grass/tufts are the same sort Hornby used in their 06 catalogue. I emailed them to see where they bought it from and a nice lady gave me the website link, which I'll give you below:

Small grass tufts:
http://www.internationalmodels.net/acatalo...flor_Tufts.html

Sheets of grass:
http://www.internationalmodels.net/acatalo...Silflor_53.html

All the best,
Ed

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Thanks for the tips on the grass, I think I will be surfing there sometime soon..

David

·
Registered
342 Posts
Your layout is looking good have added that website to my favourites as well as the grass tufts they do a good range of scenic accessories

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks for the tutorial link Doug.

I have a sheet of the grass tufts and a sample of the matting, which I purchased from International Models as an add on to an order for their stone walling ( which I can highly recommend ).
Haven't had time to use it yet, but I looks excellent. Looking forward to seeing their products first hand when I visit Warley in a few weeks.

I should say that I've placed three or four orders with I M up to now and have been more than happy with a friendly, knowledgeable and quick service. Those of you who have said you intend to order from them, should have no problems.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>I've been using green dyed horse ... am grateful for an option to stop doing that.
Why? Fed up about the ribbing you get for having a green horse?

David

·
Registered
7 Posts
really nice looking lay-out edzman.if i can get my modern image lay--out any where near that standard i will be more than happy

i hav'nt started mine yet except for buying some loco's have a few steam left by my late father which will run as society and steam specials around an intermodal
i hope
soz to ramble on

·
Registered
737 Posts
QUOTE The grass/tufts are the same sort Hornby used in their 06 catalogue. I emailed them to see where they bought it from and a nice lady gave me the website link, which I'll give you below:

And there was I using the clumps cut from an old badger hair shaving brush. Your method certainly looks easier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts