Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I am struggling to find a replacement drawbar assembly for Hornby Mallard 4468, loco to tender. I think the Princess version (which I CAN find) might do the job, but the assembly must have two thinner metallic contacts above the bar and two thicker metallic contacts below, with 1 x black wire return (please see photo)
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

·
In depth idiot
7,809 Posts
It's a standard design, dating from the bad old days of Hornby production in the UK, not well suited for DCC use: thus long superseded by a plain drawbar and a wired 4 way plug that inserts into a socket on the tender underside.

I must have some in the scrap bin taken off Hornby Gresley pacifics, but am not able to go looking until the weekend. I'll happily post one within the UK once I have my mitts on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a standard design, dating from the bad old days of Hornby production in the UK, not well suited for DCC use: thus long superseded by a plain drawbar and a wired 4 way plug that inserts into a socket on the tender underside.

I must have some in the scrap bin taken off Hornby Gresley pacifics, but am not able to go looking until the weekend. I'll happily post one within the UK once I have my mitts on it.
Hi Julian. Many thanks for the background and your helpful comments. - that makes sense to me now. Also, I really appreciate anything you might be able to find at the weekend to help. Failing that, I'm sure I will try to find the better drawbar/ 4-way plug somewhere online. Chris (aka 'Keys').

·
Administrator
9,891 Posts
I completely rewired the inside of my A4 - Alexander K McCosh - a few years ago. I made a new drawbar from some scrap nickel silver etch from a kit:

I used a 6 pin plug & socket which I got from DCC Concepts

I'm not sure they do them anymore. The closest match I could find using search was these:
https://www.dccconcepts.com/?s=micro+Harness
which have a rather large PCB on one end but maybe that would be ok in the tender?

David

Reactions: 34C

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I completely rewired the inside of my A4 - Alexander K McCosh - a few years ago. I made a new drawbar from some scrap nickel silver etch from a kit:

I used a 6 pin plug & socket which I got from DCC Concepts

I'm not sure they do them anymore. The closest match I could find using search was these:
https://www.dccconcepts.com/?s=micro+Harness
which have a rather large PCB on one end but maybe that would be ok in the tender?

David

Hi David. That's interesting. I presume you rewired because that very complex drawbar assembly is not robust? I've certainly found that, so rewiring might be a good way forward. The plug and socket looks like a neat solution, and - yes - the tender could accommodate the PCB. Many thanks indeed for this alternative solution. Chris

·
Administrator
9,891 Posts
The drawbar did get damaged. I seem to remember a heavy shunt when I had forgotten to change a point. One of the downsides of DCC is that you can have collisions just like the real thing.

David

·
In depth idiot
7,809 Posts
... Failing that, I'm sure I will try to find the better drawbar/ 4-way plug somewhere online...
To add to what DWB suggests, another side benefit of this - beyond the better electrical and more robust physical connection - is that you can make the length of the drawbar as close to prototype spacing as your smallest diameter layout curve permits.

Now, I noticed that you have the optional flanged trailing wheels installed, which won't allow the loco alone to get around a curve much below 60 inch radius, if the interior of the Cartazzi truck frames and the mounting haven't been modified (and I don't see any sign of that). If you have those circa 60" radius curves on your layout, that will mean that you can make the link the correct length to space the centres of the Cartazzi and leading tender axles 37.5mm apart.

The resulting improvement in appearance of having the loco to tender spacing correct is very significant; this is a mod I apply to all my tender locos.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts