Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to start working on my second BR50 soon. This one is going to be DRG black with red frames.
The model is the Fleischmann 7175 loco with the cabin tender, Witte deflectors and cropped foot plate . As I'm modelling pre '45, and the cabin tender didn't come into use until after the war, that will need changing. However, I'm struggling to charify whether the loco should be fitted with smoke defectors. Would it be accurate to retain the Witte defectors...?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (Al @ 10 Dec 2007, 00:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm looking to start working on my second BR50 soon. This one is going to be DRG black with red frames.
The model is the Fleischmann 7175 loco with the cabin tender, Witte deflectors and cropped foot plate . As I'm modelling pre '45, and the cabin tender didn't come into use until after the war, that will need changing. However, I'm struggling to charify whether the loco should be fitted with smoke defectors. Would it be accurate to retain the Witte defectors...?

Hi Al,

No, not the small Wittes - the first experimental wooden (!) Witte style deflectors were tested during WW2, but the real Witte deflectors only came to life after WW2, around the end-50s.

Wagner style deflectors would be fine for your purpose. I was only able to find a picture of Roco´s DRB version on the web, but I guess it´s better than nothing at all.

These were engines planned and ordered in times of peace, so nearly all of the 50s (not the 50ÜK) had Wagner deflectors. During the war, the design was simplified into the class 52 war engines, without deflectors.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the model I have...

Fitting Wagner style deflectors means building up the front of the running plates, so it looks like this one will 50ÜK, like the other one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 11 Dec 2007, 08:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Al,

These were engines planned and ordered in times of peace, so nearly all of the 50s (not the 50ÜK) had Wagner deflectors. During the war, the design was simplified into the class 52 war engines, without deflectors.

The 52's could and did have deflectors. Strange looking things that they are. I've got the 35th scale Trupter kit and it has deflectors and even the loco history states clearly that they were fitted with deflectors towards the end of the war to try inprove fuel econamy. The likelyhood of me actually building that mostrous kit is pretty remote but I do have both Karl's and a Lepard railgun for it to pull! All I need now is the Dora!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Al,

You do not need deflectors, lots of BR50's were unfitted especially in your period. However you can backdate your tender body, just use plasticard and lots of patience, it's a lot cheaper and more satisfying.

Tim

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've stripped the smoke deflectors off all 4 of my BR50's and BR52's. I actually prefer them that was now. I've just a bit of finishing work to do on the last '52, then I'll post a few pics...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts