Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a drift coal mine on my layout. Modelled on something from Wales / North Yorkshire / Durham.

Now, most drift mines had the coal removed using tippers or small wagons by hand, by winch or pulled out using ponies.

I'm looking for ideas for a tipple / transfer system that would have been used to transfer the coal from the tippers / carts to the wagons of a coal train.

Any ideas, drawings or photos?

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
hiya i am sure i have a complete set of drawings for a mine somewhere at home i will have a look for you and see what i can find. I think i have the drawings for a conveyer as well and multi gauge track and wagons. Will have a look over the next few days and get back to you!!!

Nikki

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Beamish Museum (www.beamish.org.uk) have a small example of a drift mine, but not, I recall, any means of unloading into wagons. But their site may connect you to archive photos or the like.

I would think the simplest way would have been to have the standard gauge wagons on a track below the level of the narrow-gauge track and parallel to it so that the tipplers are just tilted sideways to drop their loads into the wagons below.

Regards,
John Webb

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Madkitten @ 26 Feb 2008, 11:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hiya i am sure i have a complete set of drawings for a mine somewhere at home i will have a look for you and see what i can find. I think i have the drawings for a conveyer as well and multi gauge track and wagons. Will have a look over the next few days and get back to you!!!

Nikki

That's what I'm after. A mixture of narrow and standard gauge.

Sounds interesting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts