Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to add DCC to a loco that has tender drive and smoke in the boiler. Can I have two decoders, one in the tender and one in the loco that respond to the same address? (So smoke would be on a function button).

Obviously I could use just a single decoder in the tender but that would mean running two wires from the tender to the front which I'd rather not do.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

why don't you want to run the two wires ?. You could also stick some cotton wool in the Chimney !

Just winding you up !
Yes you could use two decoders programmed to the same number, Your probably going to be a world first with this one.
Just to add a little intrest please tell us what loco it is and why you dont want to run a couple of wires through from the tender. If it's because of hornby Loco/Tender connector there are very simple ways of making it perminent. If it's perceived value - there are very few tender drives that are worth the expence of an extra decoder IMHO.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a Hornby 4-4-0 LMS Class 4P

I want to avoid wires because wires would prevent the separation of the tender for easier handling when storing. Unless of course I added some kind of connector but that would probably end up being a more complicated install than a 2nd decoder.

This would actually be my first smoke install and I haven't actually figured out the current draw and what would be a suitable decoder yet.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Lenz has a good function decoder, the LF100XF:

QUOTE (www.digital-plus.de)The LF100XF is very similar to locomotive decoders. The crucial difference is that it has no motor control. Four additional functions are available; in keeping with the NMRA convention, these can be assigned to the functions keys of the control panel. Function outputs can be dimmed and equipped with lighting effects. A pair of outputs can even be set to direction-dependent operation (this is useful e.g. for control cars equipped with direction-dependent front lights).

While the connections of the first pair of outputs can be loaded with up to 150mA each, all other connections can be loaded with up to 300mA each.

The decoder's dimensions (24 x 12 x 2.5 mm) make for easy installation without modification.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
smoke units around the 130 ma so most decoders will should handle this:
I have smoke installed with:
DZ143
M1
MC2
T1
They look nice when their working, the novelty does wear off a bit, but excellent for impressing your friends.
A word of caution with the 2P check the diameter of your smoke unit will actually fit the chimney, I assume you have the Sleuthe for plastic bodied loco's. Perhaps another worth while project would be to provide some smoke box flicker, if your going to the trouble of adding an extra decoder. You do get micro connectors these are very
easy to run and cheap, check All Components, they also do fine wire.
all components I've found them to an excellent supplier.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (train_depot @ 24 Aug 2006, 15:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's the Hornby R376 and came with a smoke unit from the factory

Not a problem to have the 2 decoders with the same address. Just set all the CV's except 1 (the address) separatly & then CV 1 on both decoders.

BTW the Lenz LF100XF is an excellent function only decoder - I have a couple installed some Trix/Hamo locos that have LED head/tailamps & they work fine. For some strange reason I could not get the LED's to operate from the decoder outputs (Lenze LE1024's).

best regards
Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts