Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
simple question, is this feasable in these 2 gauges?

The reason i ask is that i was planning a mountain type layout because i have my eyes on a darjeeling b class from backwoods minitures. but yesterday i saw a K27 in HOn3 and it was the sweetest loco i have seen in a long time. it ran like a swiss watch.

Peter

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 18 Jul 2008, 09:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>simple question, is this feasable in these 2 gauges?

The reason i ask is that i was planning a mountain type layout because i have my eyes on a darjeeling b class from backwoods minitures. but yesterday i saw a K27 in HOn3 and it was the sweetest loco i have seen in a long time. it ran like a swiss watch.

Peter

Hi Peter

I guess the K27 is the one produced by Blackstone and illustrated here http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/HOn3/Blackst...ew/k27/loco.htm

As I see it the problem would be in the clearance between the dual gauges. 9mm and 10.5mm are very close although to be more accurate you need 7mm track for the 2 ft Darjeeling loco if modelling in 3.5mm HOe or 8mm if modelling in 4mm OO9

Mike

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
the problem is you are looking at two different SCALES?

HO..at approx 3.5mm /foot...and OO, at 4mm/foot.

whilst ANYTHING is possible, cannot the Darjeeling tank be re-gauged to suit the HOn3 track gauge?

Another alternative ,which may reduce the tight checkrail clearances, is to home-build 3 rail track, but use the centre rail as the one common rail to both gauges?

However , using OO9 locos to haul HOn3 stock would be out of the question.......

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply.

Yes the K27 is the blackstone model.
I really dont regard the different scales as a problem. i have been running HO stock alongside OO for over 20 years now and have yet to feel any guilt!

i had thought about using the centre rail as the common but as i understand it this is very unprorotypical. (yes i know i am NOW being fussy!) the centre rail cant be braced for lateral loads from both directions.

I hadnt thought about using bigger rail for the darjeeling branch.

I guess the 2 gauges are just a tad too close for comfort.

i think i am going to pass on the K27. the problem is that there are soo many loco's on my wish list in several different scales.
metre gauge
broad gauge.

alas i think hon3 is going to have to pass.

peter

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
so...darjeeling it is?

don't forget to add ''ambience'' to your models...a sprinkling of cheap curry powder here and there ought to do it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts