Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2016, after a break of a few decades, I decided to get back into railway modelling. For some reason I can't quite fathom, I decided not to create a scale model with modern models, but instead started accumulating a range of Hornby Dublo three rail equipment. Fast forward to 2018, and the layout that I eventually built took shape as a very old-school double track oval with reversing loop, goods yard, turntable and engine shed and a four track terminus, all on a board that is 8'x4'. The funny thing is, I'm getting more enjoyment out of it than I did from all the terminus to fiddle yard scale models I have had in the past. Both our grandsons love it too. It's too early to say whether or not our granddaughter is interested, although she has watched the trains go around, but then she's only one year old.

here is the track plan. All the points, signals and uncoupling ramps that are not easily reached from the control panel are electrically operated.

Here is an overhead view of one end of the layout. The Flying Scotsman is a Trix model and the Caledonian locomotive at the far end, somewhat improbably hauling a rake of Gresley LNER teak stock is a GEM body kit on a Tri-ang B12 chassis converted to three rail. Everything else is Dublo.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For some reason, I seem to have got myself a lot more Duchesses than I need. A few are in their original finish, but some have been repainted, mostly in colours that Meccano Ltd never saw fit to include in their range (livery-wise, the Duchesses were a rather varied bunch). Here are a few:

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Looks like good fun. There's a lot to be said for building a table top style layout from off the shelf items. Progress is a lot faster ;).

David

Reactions: Ruffnut Thorston

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
There is something very Special with this Old 3 rail collection. Every time i go to a model railway show in the past i spend more time looking at these sort of layouts. Thank you for sharing. Babz

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Never thought about it before but 3 rails means no worrying about polarity hence the reverse cross link so makes in that sense more realistic operations, anyway nice to see layouts such as this 60 years after Dublo ceased being manufactured

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And as befits such a layout, here are a couple of black and white photographs - not monochrome pixels, may I add, but photographs taken on proper film with a proper camera (a Leica IIIA with a 5cm Elmar for those who are interested which, being made in 1936, actually predates Dublo)

·
Registered
4 Posts
And as befits such a layout, here are a couple of black and white photographs - not monochrome pixels, may I add, but photographs taken on proper film with a proper camera (a Leica IIIA with a 5cm Elmar for those who are interested which, being made in 1936, actually predates Dublo)

View attachment 20011

View attachment 20012
Nice work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some more re-liveried Dublo:

This one was meant to be 80135, but I made a mistake with the numbers, and it came out as 80153:

An 0-6-2t which, aside from the repaint, had a replacement smokebox door fitted:

Silver King in wartime black - a photograph taken before work had begun on the scenery:

And some repainted wagons as well (although, on reflection, the lettering on the locomotive probably should be plain white - something to correct later):

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love those metal-locos! But shipping some rails from Britain to Germany is really, really expensive - so I have worked out my layout with Marklin 3 rail. Yours Marcus

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've just finished repainting the station buildings, footbridge, platforms and signal box. The buildings were a bit playworn and the platforms, although they were still in their original factory finish, were painted in three distinctly different shades of that yellowy brown colour Meccano Ltd used, and some had white edges and some didn't.

I used Tamiya aerosols: Light Sand (TS-46) which was similar to the Dublo colour but a slightly darker shade, which I think suits the models better, and Orange (TS-12) for the roofs, which was a bit brighter than the Dublo colour, but not too much so.

·
Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon’s Edge, living on The Edge! 😀
1,292 Posts
The die cast metal girder bridges do come up on eBay, etc. quite often.

Prices realised do vary, also depending on the inclusion or otherwise of a box.

The later plastic girder sides version is a bit more hard to find.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The die cast metal girder bridges do come up on eBay, etc. quite often.

Prices realised do vary, also depending on the inclusion or otherwise of a box.

At a price that's a bit too high for my liking, even if they're not boxed. My original layout plan was to have a gradient on the inner track and have it cross over the outer one and back using two of these bridges. Before construction commenced I began to have doubts about the desirability of having 60-70 year old locomotives ascending and descending a gradient with each circuit of the layout, so I redrew it without the gradients and bridges. Perhaps memories of my first layout which had two awkward gradients in it were at the back of my mind.......

Yes, the bridges do have a certain period charm about them, but I would rather buy something else with the sort of money I would spend on getting a pair of them.

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
... Before construction commenced I began to have doubts about the desirability of having 60-70 year old locomotives ascending and descending a gradient with each circuit of the layout, so I redrew it without the gradients and bridges...
If some did come along at a reasonable price, you could alternatively go for the totally un-Dubloesque* scenario of a two level layout with the bridge sections deployed to enable one line to cross another (or road and/or river and/or canal) with no need for gradients.

*What with my knowledge being limited and all, was there ever a two (or more!) separate level(s) layout ever used in H-D's publicity? I don't recall six digit man pointing enthusiastically at such a thing...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There were two in the 1958 book of plans. I had originally planned to do something along the lines of the second one:

Jim

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I should mention, as it's not at first obvious from the plans, that the raised section on the smaller of the two is simply an oval of track which is at a constant height and unconnected to the lower track. The raised section on the larger plan is the outer track, which is raised along the side where the controls are, but at baseboard height on the other side and gradients at the ends. The inner track loops under it around where the TPO is, necessitating the use of two girder bridges.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts