Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've just registered and this my first posting.

I have a 'Hornby 00' model railway - 'Duchess of Montrose' (diecast body), Tender and with two 'Pullman' carriages (red and cream).
Also, there are a number of Goodstrucks. Plus a figure of eight (8) track with two sidings.

The 'sleepers' are the printed type onto the track base and there are 'metalized tabs' that are inserted between the track joins, close to a junction (points), so as to stop the train derailing when the points are against it. Do these cut off the current?

This was bought for me in 1956 when I was 12 years old, (I'm 63) and it is still in it's original box, (albeit somewhat 'used'), if that's the term.

The last time the train was laid out was over thirty years ago and then the engine wouldn't go. Does it have a magnet in it or something and is it possible to get it going again?

The reason I'm writing, is because I have no one to pass it on to. My grand kids are certainly not interested with something like this these days.

What I would like to do, is try and have a value put on it, if anything and maybe sell it to an enthusiast somewhere, or put it on 'Ebay', or whatever.

Hoping someone can be of help.

Thank you.

Richard.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Richard,

DO NOT USE EBAY !!!!!!!!

You may not get its true value and you could be ripped off !

Try an auction house or someone whom knows the true value of your item.

i will check about for you if you leave its number. ie; Hornby, wrenn R111 or example.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (KODIAK BEAR @ 24 Jun 2007, 16:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Richard,
DO NOT USE EBAY !!!!!!!!

i will check about for you if you leave its number. ie; Hornby, wrenn R111 or example.

Thanks for that,

I have the original 1956 Price list. I cannot see the word "wrenn" anywhere.

Under the heading 'Train Sets in BR Liveries', is the number EDP12 for my train set.
Under the heading 'Locomotives & Tenders in BR Liveries', is the number EDL12 for my engine.

Hope this of some help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My very first train set Christmas 1956 was the Duchess of Montrose set.

Have been looking to replace it on and off for the last 10 years or so, either as a complete set, or, just piece by piece, but, even in roughish condition just the engine and tender are pretty much out of my range.

I have been buying up a few bits of track, so, I have got a bit of a start. The track and points can be had very cheaply on Ebay, although, shipping to Canada can be quite shocking.

How about some pics just for nostalgia's sake.

The none running issue, is probably just corrosion on the brushes and armature of the motor. Usualy just a good clean up and service of the motor will get you running in a few minutes.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (KODIAK BEAR @ 24 Jun 2007, 16:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Richard,
DO NOT USE EBAY !!!!!!!!

And why not ? - it's easy to put a reserve on it once you have an idea about it's value & usually far less faffing about. You can still get less than true value at an auction house if the "right" buyers are not there or the "wrong" ones are & decide before the auction starts who gets what !

Yes, you do hear media horror stories about eBay, but they always seem to forget the 1,000,000's of good deals completed. Often we have obtained far more than "true value" for items we have sold on eBay & no problems.

& don't forget the golden rule "something is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it"'

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (KODIAK BEAR @ 25 Jun 2007, 01:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Richard,
DO NOT USE EBAY !!!!!!!!

I really wouldn't say that. I just sold an item for more than 50% of it's bought value due to it being a rare item.

If you take the neccessary precaustions and let people know in advance what you are selling and where you can maximise the amount of potential buyers.

Ebays fees are steep as are Paypals but you can minimise these too. Have a low starting price and no reserve will get some of them down. Not using Paypal will get rid of the worst ones.

Remember Ebay is a big International forum for selling and attracts interest from all round the world. All methods of selling will atract fees.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Although as Neil says eBay/PayPal's fees in total can be quite high & bearing in mind that when you sell on eBay the buyer pays the postage/shipping it's not really too bad overall - & using PayPal to sell gives you instant funds to buy from other countries without faffing around with bank transfers (very expensive from the UK).

If you sell via an auction house you have to pay to get the item(s) to the auction house (& back again if they don't sell). As a matter of fact what would their fees be on an item that "made" £250 on the day of sale ?

From our POV to date we have only had a couple of problems with eBay (neither the fault of eBay themeselves), 1 was a Frenchman who did not put a reserve on a Roco coach, we won it for one euro & he would not part with it, the other was a loco that was not described very well, the photo was poor & it was scruffy, however, the seller refunded a reasonable amount to our satisfaction & it's going to be weathered - having said that maybe, seeing the poor photo we could have asked the seller for more details.

Let's face it, if eBay was as bad as the media & other ppl say no one would use it, & of course millions do. Just be sensible & reasonably careful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts