Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this front both the Accurasclae and the Dapol challenger are getting out their new Manors, the Accurascale coming in at £169.99 whilst the Dapol at £140.72 both are due before Christmas so who will win the race to the engine shed?

·
Administrator
9,891 Posts
Reactions: Ruffnut Thorston

·
In depth idiot
7,818 Posts
... I can't see Accurascale getting the Manors here before 31st December 2021.
But they have shown an EP which is encouraging, and according to my friend of Swindonian leanings who has seen it 'in the metal' it's the bees knees. Like me he has been pleased at Hornby's move to largely diecast construction for smaller steam locos and this Manor is in the same style of construction; so he's fully prepared to wait for it.

·
In depth idiot
7,818 Posts
... I can't see Accurascale getting the Manors here before 31st December 2021.
My friend with one on order has now been told Q1 2022.

Personal opinion, I don't believe any but the highest value customer businesses now have any real control over their supply chain from Chinese manufacturing site to their end customer market. The Chinese government is restricting factory electricity supply to manage air pollution: and the winter will only make the air pollution problem worse, akin to the winter smogs that were infamous in London in time past. And then there's the shipping which is still badly disrupted, with the physical movement cycle times in months for the correction of ship and container locations and access to the container handling ports, several of which cycles will be required to return to something like normality. Badly messed up in short.

·
Administrator
9,891 Posts
The Chinese government is restricting factory electricity supply to manage air pollution
That's assuming they can get the power in the first place.
Last week a news update from Accurascale about the next batch of PFA wagons contained this line ...
Unfortunately, due to the ongoing energy rationing at the factory these wagons have been delayed from their original delivery date of Q4 2021 to Q2 2022. We apologise for this delay, but unfortunately this is something beyond our control.
Seems like the Manor got off lightly.

Speaking of manufacturers who have closer control of their production, youtube thought I would be interested in this video from Peco a couple of weeks ago ...

David

·
In depth idiot
7,818 Posts
That's assuming they can get the power in the first place...
Yes, that is the effect of the Chinese Government's mandated power cuts to factories, to try and keep air pollution under control. And the power cuts are likely to get worse as winter advances, due to the thermal inversion which assists smog formation. Predictions based on power cuts two days a week are likely to fail, because the power cut durations will increase as the pollution does

...Speaking of manufacturers who have closer control of their production, youtube thought I would be interested in this video from Peco a couple of weeks ago ...
Got my attention too. Think it is time for Peco to put a toe in the water in OO. Never mind fiddling around in 9mm gauge products which very few buy, get brave and try a RTR OO loco, for the dominant purchasers of UK model railway product. A high grade Black 5 or 8F to blow the very dated Hornby offerings into the weeds would be my suggestion, either would command a lot of sales; which is what a UK production would need.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Peco are not that brillant with locos. The only one they have tooled themselves, the N gauge Collett Goods, they insisted on selling only with a dcc decoder which required a tender to be tooled up that was wrong. The 009 Prince/Princess they are about to release is being made by Kato.

·
Administrator
9,891 Posts
get brave and try a RTR OO loco
I've heard it mentioned - can't remember whether it was a Bachmann or Hornby mag video - that the tooling for Bachmann's new class 47 was a cool million quid. If that's the going rate, tooling any kind of loco would be brave indeed.

I agree that both the Black 5 and 8F could do with upgrades. I wouldn't be hmming and awwing about getting some of those.

David

·
In depth idiot
7,818 Posts
Peco are not that brillant with locos. The only one they have tooled themselves, the N gauge Collett Goods, they insisted on selling only with a dcc decoder which required a tender to be tooled up that was wrong. The 009 Prince/Princess they are about to release is being made by Kato.
But this is weeny little 9mm gauge stuff which is difficult to make so it works well. HO/OO gauge mechanisms are much easier, there are now literally hundreds of good designs to look at and copy the proven superior features. As for the money, Peco clearly aren't on their uppers, and the choice of a very popular subject for the first high standard RTR OO steam loco volume designed and manufactured in the UK just might go over large within the hobby?

·
Premium Member
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As a kid I could never understand why Triang never made obvious models like the Black 5, B1, H15, Hall, O4, 8F, 28xx, you know things that were built in large numbers and appeared everywhere between them.

So the question is what is missing? well not much although as above the Hornby Black 5 was good in its day it needs a revamp, Bachmann have been very slow so although the new V2 is nearly here the BR5 is not would be a good subject and there are some useful locos such as the K2 still needing to come on the scene (and the J6) as to the Manors I await the reviews although these are usually a whitewash you can read between the lines.

As to OO9 well I have a layout and enjoy it rather a lot and a double fairlie is in question as the loco superintendent thinks it might be just the needed thing for the heavy freights up the hill.

·
In depth idiot
7,818 Posts
As a kid I could never understand why Triang never made obvious models like the Black 5, B1, H15, Hall, O4, 8F, 28xx, you know things that were built in large numbers...
Triang were resolutely a cheap, no, make that miserly, cheap toy manufacturer. (Just look at the nonsense of their 0-6-0 mechanism used under everything it could sort of be passed off as suitable for, the evolution of which the successor business is still peddling! Clearly old habits are hard to break...) Surprisingly, their diesel models were utility types, type 2 and 3, so they did have some idea that mid range power was the usual thing.

...So the question is what is missing? well not much although as above the Hornby Black 5 was good in its day it needs a revamp, Bachmann have been very slow so although the new V2 is nearly here the BR5 is not would be a good subject...
Bachmann have the std 5MT in their range, an early introduction when the 'Blue Riband' group of models was introduced. When it was last listed is a good question, but can still be got s/h..

I have had a few, snapped up when they were long ago being sold off below £50. I used the mechanism to repower V2s which had worn out split chassis mechanisms, sold on the bodies to fine scale types prepared to build kit mechanisms. It's a real curate's egg of a model. Over geared and badly balanced, it struggles for traction and with even a modest load slips like mad at scale for 50mph. The body is a total pill to replace on the mechanism, (worth approaching a friendly surgeon to see if a grafted on third arm would be possible to aid in this task) and has an error in the cab side to roof profile.

But for those prepared to modify their models it can be knocked into shape for both appearance and performance. My surviving example represents 73158, one of a trio briefly allocated at 34A and found 'not as good as a B1'. In which respect the model as supplied succeeds, not as good as the Bach or Hornby versions of the B1...

·
Premium Member
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hornby B1 is excellent, Bachman B1 not bad but I. may sell off mine as they are not so good as the Hornby B1 and buy another Hornby version, The V2 having had a new chassis in about 2010 has been OK. Just for those considering gradients the Hornby B1 makes easy work of the 1 in 33 grades I have and actually the B17 is about as good as well.

On this the A2 is a good loco and may be best of the pacifics.

·
Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon’s Edge, living on The Edge! 😀
1,299 Posts

·
In depth idiot
7,818 Posts
Ahem, Tri-ang Hornby did make a BR(WR), and later GWR, Hall class, from 1966...
Mangled to make it fit on the B12/3 mechanism, in their usual style. Should have turned it out as 'Notquiter Hall'. Really as effectively the sole supplier of RTR OO when it was a very popular hobby they could so easily have stretched a little in the direction of fidelity. This is so typical of why many of their potential customers turned to kit and scratchbuilding.

However, back to the rival Manors. It's the Accurascale item I am interested in evaluating, as it has a heap of desirable features in the specification.

Like Hornby's B12/3 it is going to be heavy, thanks to a largely cast metal body (the effect of this on the B12/3 is to make it the most tractively effective 4-6-0 I have got on the layout).

That alone would be good, but they also advertise a helical gearbox which should enhance drive refinement.

The spec. also includes a lift out tender top to access the decoder socket, and an option for an empty bunker space, all well thought out stuff that's so blindingly obvious, yet past suggestions on these lines to other manufacturers have fallen on deaf ears.

The loco to tender coupling isn't described, hopefully they will copy Bachmann's simple arrangement of a metal link in the right location through the dragboxes with a screw locked spacing adjustment to fully ice the cake; (which Bachmann have unbelievably dropped from their new V2 , disappointing regression from what has been the best arrangement in RTR OO for over 20 years).

It's all and only about the execution now, to deliver the result...

·
In depth idiot
7,818 Posts
And veering off Manors for a moment...
...the BR5 ...
And I have just seen that Bachmann have a pair of BR 5MT's in their release list, shown due end of this year/January 2022. I imagine it will still be the 'curate's egg' design unchanged from first appearance, approach with caution...

Let the Manoring recommence.

·
In depth idiot
7,818 Posts
On this front both the Accurascale and the Dapol challenger are getting out their new Manors... both are due before Christmas so who will win the race to the engine shed?
I would imagine that Dapol's didn't arrive in the recent shipment that brought their Large Prairie to the UK, so I'd think 2022 is now likely for both.

·
In depth idiot
7,818 Posts
... the strange splaying out ends of the slidebars on the Mogul equally inflict this so the pendulum for the Manor looks to swing towards the Accurascale one.
Hmm, perhaps someone thinks the splaying of the slidebars on the four cylinder types (to enable the ends to have frame stays, while also clearing the connecting rods at their maximum angle from the piston rod) should be carried over to the two cylinder classes?

·
In depth idiot
7,818 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts